Apple Care

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Willie5566, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Willie5566 macrumors regular

Now that I received my iPhone 4, I realize that there is no insurance on it. I ordered on ATT.com and was never offered Apple Care. Should they have offered it? Can I still get it? I am guessing I can since it is within 30 days.

2. Icarumba macrumors newbie

Well, just speaking for my 3G, the applecare was a complete ripoff. They don't replace the phone if its broken (like mine was) and I ended up paying the $500 for a completely new phone.

I would go for one of the new protection plans offered at various places like best buy or ATT, because they replace phones from theft or breaking...

3. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

You can buy AppleCare anytime until the end of your 1 year limited warranty. Basically, you have 1 year to buy it.

How did you break it? Those places do offer better coverage but they're also more expensive. FYI, apple will replace any phone for $199, you didn't need to buy another phone.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you're new here, keep in mind that many people sell after one year (or take advantage of upgrade swaps) and upgrade yearly at minimal or no cost, in which case purchasing Applecare is useless. More people end up doing this than they realize.

5. psywzrd macrumors 68030

If you do get it, buy it on eBay or something - much cheaper. Plus it does add to the resale value.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

How many places will replace your product if it's broken (users fault)? I can't think of any.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

But do you make a profit off it if you sell yearly? My guess is you don't and merely recoup the cost.

8. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

i dunno about the other people but when i bought apple care it was worth it. My iphone 3g (white ) was cracking all over the place from normal use (which shouldnt have happened) they replaced it for me 4 times until i got the one i have no which hasnt cracked after 5 months. so for me apple care was worth it :)

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Amex will for the first 90 days, under their purchase protection plan (covers accidents and thefts too).

10. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

90 days isn't much of a warranty

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, but better than nothing and at no cost. And they'll replace user-induced damage (at least up to the purchase price).

12. Built macrumors 68020

My 3G ended up, after 6 months, unable to place a call. The first genius (at the Apple Store in The Grove, Los Angeles) was a douche and wouldn't do anything other than try to restore.

The second genius (at the Apple Store in Century City, Los Angeles) was great, and replaced the phone.

I don't know what happened to the phone, but once he verified it was not water damage, he replaced it without question/argument.

I also learned NEVER to go to the Apple Store in The Grove if I want any assistance. Even the manager is worthless.
    I have had good luck with Applecare, though, because whenever I have had a problem, extended phone support is my first step, and has saved me a lot of time having to go into a store.

13. freeman727 macrumors 6502

I have a Platinum Mastercard which extends warranties by 1 year. Is it still worth getting Applecare if I don't plan on selling it? I know I won't get the same awesome service I have had at the Genius Bar but I'm also saving a bit of money.

14. Mac Headroom macrumors newbie

Some people have mentioned that you can get an insurance policy on your phone thru Statefarm. Sounded like it only cost around 50$/year. Covers everything - lost, stolen, smashed. I didn't confirm this yet cuz I'm waiting for the white and have no need but I'm gonna look into it and get it, if available, when I finally upgrade.

15. mycooltoast macrumors newbie

i got my warranty off sqauretrade for my 2 phones instead that covers accidental damage but not theft. i read that theres another carrier that covers theft but is a little more costly. i decided this time i needed it because its seems to be more heavier and maybe more subject to impact damage from dropping. i've had all the iphones but never had a problem even after a few mild drops with a silicone case.

16. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

You get a 1 year warranty from Apple. My point is almost everyone keeps their phone longer than 3 months, what do you do if it breaks after that? 3 months only covers 1/8th of the phones average lifetime (I assume 2 year lifetime). While 3 months is nice, it really isn't a solution.

17. Built macrumors 68020

I am going to call my State Farm agent tomorrow. My ONLY concern about that is that since I have car and renter's insurance through them, I don't want any claim against my iPhone policy to drive up my premiums elsewhere.

18. emaja macrumors 68000

SquareTrade.

Actually, they don't replace it. They send you a check for its replacement cost - unsubsidized.

19. Mac Headroom macrumors newbie

From what I understand, through other people of course, is that it acts as a completely separate policy so it shouldn't effect your others. Do us (me) a favor and post back after to talk to them.

One more thing, the user that originally posted this info said that if the rep didn't know what to do when called we could call his rep, to whom he left info on. I don't have the title of the exact post but it was here, you could probably search threads for "Statefarm" and it'll come up. Good luck

20. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

I believe Apple Care is non-transferable. So, one of the posters above is wrong in saying that it adds value to your phone when in fact it shouldn't since the AC is not transferable.

21. billinaz macrumors 6502

billinaz

And it covers accidental damage and water damage. With the coupon code on another thread that gives you 35% off the cost is about $80.00 for 2 years of coverage.

22. _Matt macrumors 6502

I've had great experiences with AppleCare. When my 3G randomly stopped making calls I took it to the Genius Bar and they replaced it immediately free of charge with a brand new iPhone. Can't beat that. Of course it costs like $69 but I think it's worth the extended service from the manufacturing company.

Just don't tell the Geniuses you dropped it. They will take your credit card and ring up a new iPhone faster than you can say "free replacement".

23. notmymac macrumors member

APP follows the phone not the user who purchased it...When we register APP in ILOG we attach it to a serial number

And one thing that folks are not considering in this thread....Yes the phone does come with a 1 year limited hardware warranty..BUT only 90 days of phone support...SO...if someone calls me at 180 days...and they don't have APP..my only option to troubleshoot is to a) sell them APP 2) sell them ASL (single incident) or direct them to self help resources in order to seperate software from hardware issues. To the best of my knowledge all Apple Retail Stores require that you have at least done a restore as new on the phone unless it just refuses to power on...

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

For the other 9 months, I prefer to self-insure with $199 in the bank and I have a 3GS as a back-up as well (especially if it's relatively close to the next iPhone release). Better than potentially wasting $400 on squaretrade for the last 4 iPhones, IMO.

25. psywzrd macrumors 68030

It can definitely be transferred - I've done it myself. It's helpful when you're trying to sell a used phone and you can tell people that it will come with a 1year warranty or however long is left on your AppleCare plan before you transfer it to the buyer.