Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
This feature, in my opinion, is the case's downfall. One of the reasons why I opted for the Macally. I love the newsy app for iPad. But when I had my iPad in the Apple case, I kept thinking the volume was on low when actually it was the case and its lack of speaker cut-outs that significantly decreased the volume.

I do not understand why Apple would not have proper cut-outs for the speakers.

I notice that you cut out some parts of the case. Has it worked for you? Do you suggest cutting some slots for the speakers?

I have replaced the apple case with the macally bookstand. But The apple case was the first one I bought and while I was looking for a replacement, I trimmed a portion of the case to allow me to use the iPad with the keyboard dock without removing it from the case. It worked great. If you haven't made a cut for the dock, then using a sharp hobby knife to cutout the speaker area would work just fine. But I wouldn't recommend doing both cuts. One or the other.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
The closest case is the Yoobao Leather Case. That has a virtually identical design to apple's case since the recent update, and it is leather.

The Noreve case is similar but it doesn't provide much edge protection and it has a strap fastener to close it which is not a clean solution.

Cases like the Macally case, the Vaja Leather Agenda, etc. are very good too but they have no edge protection, and I know from my iPhone experience that if you don't have edge protection the edges will get scuffed.

cases like the Griffin Leather Portfolio, the PDAir and the Piel Frama are all very nice, but they don't function in either the typing position (low gradient) or the movie watching position (steep gradient). Few cases offer both these positions which the Apple and Yoobao do quite well.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Please tell me you're joking.
Yes, of course I'm joking. But I'm pretty sure that the person that my comment was directed towards would not think so. :)

When people claim that the Apple case is "awesome" and "near perfect", then they must consider all of the deficiencies to be "features"... spelling it "feechur" is a nod to that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.