Apple case taking 3-4 weeks??

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Uabcar, May 17, 2010.

1. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Is there another online source (other than apple.com) where these may be in stock? I've been checking around locally for a while now with no luck - and think it might just be faster/easier to order online.

For those ordering from Apple recently, has it taken the full 3+ weeks to arrive?

2. w4rmk macrumors regular

w4rmk

Your best option if you want one quickly is probably an eBay seller who's auction says they have it in hand. I know locally here in Denver there are some CraigsList sellers asking $60 for them, yes that's high but really only a $15 premium when you factor in sales tax.

3. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

I had the same issue, so I finally broke down and ordered the case from Apple. It took two weeks from the date of order until I received it last Friday.

4. mrcc macrumors regular

5. Uabcar thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow. That’s nuts. I went ahead and ordered one from Apple.com. Looks like I should expect it around the July 4th holiday...

It's pretty hard to believe that in this day & age these things can't/aren’t being stamped out at a rate of 1000+/hr somewhere.

Edit: Just got my order confirmation. Delivers June 18th. Amazing.

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Go to the Apple store and ask a salesperson when the shipments come in each week. When I bought my ipad, the cases were sold out everywhere. I went back to the same store 2 days later and they had just gotten a shipment of cases. They had 50 of them hanging on the wall.

So despite the long order times, Apple IS still sending decent supplies to the stores.

7. mrcc macrumors regular

I tried that. They don't know what's on the next shipment

8. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Selling a million iPads in the first 28 days (well over 2 mil now) and many with the Apple case, adds up to a little more than 1000/hr that the uabcar suggests..

at say, maybe 500,000 cases the first month, maybe more, that's almost 17,850 a day, no days off.
    just sayin.

9. Uabcar thread starter macrumors 6502

Really?? No days off...

I find it amazing that they can produce hundreds of thousands of complex iPads (doubt it's 2M yet) - and yet they can't get these things stamped out fast enough to meet demand - which can only be a fraction of the total iPads sold. I bet that not more than 25% of people who own an iPad even want the apple case.

10. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Ordered my iPad case at a good time in terms of availability, with an estimated 2-week wait. Ordered ~April 13th, received my case May 10th with FedEX Express.

11. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I'm saying that amount IF they have no days off that might be the rate.
    dude, whatever, I believe they sold on the high end of their estimates, and now adding the global launches ( which they already delayed once), demand will be even greater.
    I don;t see a conspiracy. it is reported they sold even more 3Gs launch day than the original Wifi on it's launch day. look to the 2 intl launches to have a big pentup demand.
    just order online at Apple and wait it out, the line is only get longer.

12. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I love when people think they know soooo much about Manufacturing that they just say "it should be so easy to just make these".

I promise you that apple is having a 3rd party MFg make them. a company that has other customers than just apple. So, machine scheduling come in to play since other customers may have product promised to them. also there is availability of the materials. I'm sure the Manufacturer gets the materials from yet another source and may be held up due to shortage of materials from that supplier.

there are a million reasons why the process can be delayed.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Really sucks when those of us call the local stores day and day out in order to score a Apple iPad Case or Camera Connection kit and score one - while those that put in an Apple Store order are left waiting...

While I am happy that my calls to the Apple stores in the area got me both... I would be ticked in doing the online store and still waiting... What gives Apple?

14. batman75 macrumors 6502

I ordered an iPad wifi for my mother this morning from Macmall. Good buy btw because of free shipping and no sales tax.

They mentioned they would be receiving some apple cases soon and has estimated ship date rang of may 21-28.

15. mrcc macrumors regular

16. stephg macrumors member

stephg

Ordered mine on May 2 - just got shipping notification today. It's supposed to be here by May 25th. Can't wait - the iPad feels slippery to me and i have tile floors almost everywhere in my house! I also ordered a minisuit silicone skin from ebay. It was cheap so I thought I'd try it out.

17. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Apple's main priority is in having adequate stock in stores. All stores with orders put in for cases or iPads or whatever it may be MUST receive stock before anyone else does. This means that when you order online, you're ordering from what stock is left after all stores and retailers are accounted for.

18. MorganK macrumors regular

I would buy one, but can't/won't right now. 1-We are moving in about 3 weeks, don't want it delivered to the wrong place. 2-No Apple store anywhere near me to check availability at.

I did see in another thread someone ordered one from Apple and got it in like a week which I thought was odd.

19. NateSJ408 macrumors newbie

I bought mine off the shelf at the apple store a few weeks ago.

20. Uabcar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks captain obvious - very helpful. Glad to have an expert such as yourself here to help. I may be speaking for myself here but I'm pretty sure we're all able to muster the brain power required to think through key milestones in the manufacturing process.

21. tripjammer macrumors 6502a

I just ordered an Apple Ipad case...I got the dodocase comming too.

These are the two best cases...so i will try them out...and give the one I don't want to my sister.

Dang 3 to 4 weeks for the apple case...
    Dang 4 to 6 weeks for the dodocase!!!!!

I got a bubble case to carry it in now...but I want one of these cases...

Maybe I will get my Ipad cases before the next Iphone 4G/HD comes out! LMAO!

22. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Has anyone seen them in Best Buy? I saw the spot on the shelf yesterday when I was there.

I was wondering if they are getting any or if Apple only gets them. I couldn't find anyone to ask at the time though...

23. Uabcar thread starter macrumors 6502

In addition to the apple store (50 miles away), I've been checking the two local best buy's- and they are always out of stock.

24. Juvenile macrumors member

Ordered Today

May 20, 2010 at 06:18 AM PDT - Order number Wxxxxxxxxxx
    Not yet shipped
    Product
    IPAD CASE-ZML
    Ships: Jun 18
    Delivers: Jun 23

25. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I talked to the Apple Rep at our local Best Buy yesterday and he said that he hasn't seen an Apple case since the 3G launch.

This is terrible. I just can't bring myself to order something that takes over a month to get.