Apple caught cheating with iMovie 08 AD??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DustyAZ, Aug 27, 2007.

1. DustyAZ macrumors newbie

Did Apple cheat while demonstrating the "ease-of-use" features with the new iMovie 08 program? I suspicion so...

As many of you know, users all over the Internet have been yelling about the iMovie 08's lack of sound controls, especially the sound bands. These bands allow users to be able to fade music in or out as needed. However, with "Apple's version" of iMovie, this isn't a problem. Check out their video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRgxyJ_T5O8

For clarification, the sound clip is exactly 20 seconds long. It starts with a fade in and ends with a fade out. Yet, nobody has figured out how to reproduce this with iMovie, as there's NO SOUND BANDS available for editing volume levels of a "portion" of a clip. Yet, their music fades in order to give their presentation sample a more professional quality.

1) Start the video and jump to 6:15.

Notice that in the video, the music starts with a fade in and the song does not begin with it's normal start. It's been edited.

2) Notice around 6:48, the music fades with the transition.

Now, how did Apple accomplish this, when the program offers no ability to do this by itself?

My conclusion is that either:

1) Apple created a "special rendition" for this advertising piece, figuring that nobody was smart enough to catch them.

2) The movie was edited with FCP (Final Cut Pro) or Express. This would give it the ability to "edit" the music in order to give it a more professional presentation.

Either way, it's cheating... What do you think?

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

They could have done that in Garageband, non?

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Either way, I personally don't care.

If I did care, I would find it hard to believe that Apple has anything to gain by intentionally doing that (assuming that there was no other way with iLife 08 to do it)...

4. DustyAZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, they do! In the old iMovie HD, one could easily fade their music in and and out with their audio controls. If they had published their movie (as the rest of us have to), it would of sounded like trash. It gives the program a false of appearance of being more capable / powerful than it is -- thus, helping to increase sales.

5. unknown87 macrumors regular

6. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Iam lost as to what is the problem with iMovie, just interested since I will be getting it soon with iWork.

7. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

The problem is that Apple intentionally created a far-inferior product to replace iMovie 6, for no appreciable gain whatsoever (other than selling iWork '08).

Imagine, instead, that Apple took Preview.app and labeled it "iPhoto '08" and sold it to you as new/better?

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i've only used imovie 08 a little bit so far (a couple of slideshows) and from what i've experienced it's not as bad as you make it out to be

9. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

iMovie 08 allows you to trim an audio track from within the application.

Here is my very own screen capture.

iMovie auto fades with the transition.

Attached Files:

10. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

imovie 08 is frickin' amazing, whiners can keep 06 and just miss out on the greatness

11. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Edit in GarageBand?

Everyone says to do it in GarageBand...

How do you do this? In iMovie HD/'06, there was a simple "Export to GarageBand" option, and GB had a "Create Movie Sountrack" in its opening screen.

iMovie '08 and GB '08 have done away with both.

Yes, GB can still import movies from the media browser, but it's not the 'Export to Garageband" that iMovie HD/'06 had, that was an easy click from iMovie.