Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today is National Sovereignty and Children's Day in Turkey, an annual public holiday that takes place on April 23 in the country. As it has in years past, Apple is celebrating the holiday by sharing art that children have created using its products.

Apple CEO Tim Cook highlighted a self-portrait created by 13-year-old Özgün Asya, who made the image on an iPad with Apple Pencil.

childrens-day-turkey-tim-cook-tweet.jpg

It's Children's Day in Turkey! 🇹🇷 Thanks to 13-year-old Özgün Asya from Istanbul for this colorful self-portrait, created on iPad using Apple Pencil. pic.twitter.com/N5EzH11F1x - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) April 23, 2018
Over the past week, Apple's Turkish YouTube channel has been sharing a few videos also highlighting Children's Day, in a series called "My Portrait." The first video posted focused on Asya's self-portrait, and in it she explains that she drew herself with her favorite flower, the cherry blossom.

Following the first video, Apple published six more short, 15-second clips where kids from Turkey explained the art that they created using iPad. Ali G. explained that he drew seven-and-a-half versions of himself due to his own age, Ece S. described her nature-focused portrait, and Defne A. showed off an image of her and her dog.

In the most recent video, shared over the weekend, Apple combined all of the self portrait videos into one 30-second ad.

The power of the iPad, the ease of use of Apple Pencil, and the unlimited creativity of children came together, and these extraordinary self-portraits came out.
Apple's Children's Day videos showcase the latest 9.7-inch iPad, which was announced at an education-focused event in late March. The sixth-generation device includes Apple Pencil support with sensors that measure pressure and tilt so that users can take notes or illustrate in supported apps. The tablet has a reduced education price and multiple accessories that are particularly aimed at kids in school.

Article Link: Apple Celebrates Turkish Children's Day With Self-Portraits Created Using iPad and Apple Pencil

TheBruno

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2018
Corvallis, OR, USA
The iPad Pro (and new iPad) with Pencil really are spectacular drawing tools. It's not quite like using a Wacom, but I've found the sketch work using Pro Create is really satisfying.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
First off it’s really nice to have a children’s day.

Second, I hope the cheaper iPad gets the keyboard connector next year, which would make it the perfect device for schools.

Do you think the next keyboard will be more like the new MacBook pros?

I hope so, I'm kind of used to them now and am waiting for a new iPad pro to be released!

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Since when does Apple promote national days? They should stick to international days supported by the UN or other global organisations.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: srknpower

dreadlord

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
This is our national holiday to celebrate democracy declared in 1923 and it is gifted to all children around the world by the founder of the Turkish Republic, Ataturk (which means The Father of the Turks).

Happy Children's Day to all children around the world!

Last edited:

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010

I hope so, I'm kind of used to them now and am waiting for a new iPad pro to be released!

I think the Smart Keyboard already uses the same tech as the MBP keyboard though I actually like the iPad Pro keyboard better because it’s waterproof and more clicky.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

personally I hope not. I actually love the style of the iPad Pro keyboard. especially the water resistance created by the full cover. I just want to see them fix the issues with the keyboards failing
[doublepost=1524509318][/doublepost]
Great new product announcement... oh never mind just more virtue signaling from the fish that is apple with a rotting head that is Tim Cook

Heaven forbid that Apple should care about something other than taking folks money.

ScooterComputer

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
According to the OECD, an iPad 6th Gen and Pencil would amount to 1/10th of an average Turkish family's entire wealth, including housing (Turkey is 37/38 of industrialized nations). I think it likely most Turkish families have more to deal with about now than doodling, and I question Mr. Cook's advertising of Apple's "premium-priced" products in this way contrasted with the problems in Turkey at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Octopuss

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2017
Apple celebrates nobody cares with nobody gives a **** created using useless thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Heaven forbid that Apple should care about something other than taking folks money.

Lol - this is 100% Apple caring about taking peoples money: this Apple initiative is little more than advertising to get another mention in the newspapers / MSM / blog mills. If you don't believe that then I have a bridge to sell you...

Last edited:
Reactions: jjhny

TT_Guy

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2016
Midlands, United Kingdom
Great new product announcement... oh never mind just more virtue signaling from the fish that is apple with a rotting head that is Tim Cook

Nothing to see
Exactly. Meanwhile my MB Pro 2017 has a noisy unusable low travel keyboard, is sluggish when logging in with a TB3 dongle attached and MacOS latest crashes a lot. And iOS devices still don’t use USB-C.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Seems desperate to prey on children internationally after failing in the US education market.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
Seems desperate to prey on children internationally after failing in the US education market.
Meanwhile, Microsoft has been trying to break into the Turkish education market for years, alongside its competitors.
[doublepost=1524620383][/doublepost]Tech companies competing for international markets, including children, is nothing new. It just doesn't usually make the news.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
This is our national holiday to celebrate democracy declared in 1923 and it is gifted to all children around the world by the founder of the Turkish Republic, Ataturk (which means The Father of the Turks).

Happy Children's Day to all children around the world!

Remembering democracy then...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.