Apple Celebrates Turkish Children's Day With Self-Portraits Created Using iPad and Apple Pencil

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Today is National Sovereignty and Children's Day in Turkey, an annual public holiday that takes place on April 23 in the country. As it has in years past, Apple is celebrating the holiday by sharing art that children have created using its products.

Apple CEO Tim Cook highlighted a self-portrait created by 13-year-old Özgün Asya, who made the image on an iPad with Apple Pencil.

[​IMG]

Over the past week, Apple's Turkish YouTube channel has been sharing a few videos also highlighting Children's Day, in a series called "My Portrait." The first video posted focused on Asya's self-portrait, and in it she explains that she drew herself with her favorite flower, the cherry blossom.

Following the first video, Apple published six more short, 15-second clips where kids from Turkey explained the art that they created using iPad. Ali G. explained that he drew seven-and-a-half versions of himself due to his own age, Ece S. described her nature-focused portrait, and Defne A. showed off an image of her and her dog.

In the most recent video, shared over the weekend, Apple combined all of the self portrait videos into one 30-second ad.

Apple's Children's Day videos showcase the latest 9.7-inch iPad, which was announced at an education-focused event in late March. The sixth-generation device includes Apple Pencil support with sensors that measure pressure and tilt so that users can take notes or illustrate in supported apps. The tablet has a reduced education price and multiple accessories that are particularly aimed at kids in school.

Article Link: Apple Celebrates Turkish Children's Day With Self-Portraits Created Using iPad and Apple Pencil

2. TheBruno macrumors member

TheBruno

The iPad Pro (and new iPad) with Pencil really are spectacular drawing tools. It's not quite like using a Wacom, but I've found the sketch work using Pro Create is really satisfying.

3. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

First off it’s really nice to have a children’s day.

Second, I hope the cheaper iPad gets the keyboard connector next year, which would make it the perfect device for schools.

4. normang macrumors member

normang

I'd rather have new Mac's, Face ID iPad's than having Apple spend time and money announcing something as odd as this....

5. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Do you think the next keyboard will be more like the new MacBook pros?

I hope so, I'm kind of used to them now and am waiting for a new iPad pro to be released!

6. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Pretty sure my kids think "Children's Day" is everyday.

7. Shaun, UK, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018

Shaun, UK macrumors 68040

Shaun, UK

Since when does Apple promote national days? They should stick to international days supported by the UN or other global organisations.

8. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Great new product announcement... oh never mind just more virtue signaling from the fish that is apple with a rotting head that is Tim Cook

Nothing to see

9. iHack13, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018

iHack13 macrumors regular

iHack13

10. dreadlord, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018

dreadlord macrumors regular

dreadlord

This is our national holiday to celebrate democracy declared in 1923 and it is gifted to all children around the world by the founder of the Turkish Republic, Ataturk (which means The Father of the Turks).

Happy Children's Day to all children around the world!

11. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

I think the Smart Keyboard already uses the same tech as the MBP keyboard though I actually like the iPad Pro keyboard better because it’s waterproof and more clicky.

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

personally I hope not. I actually love the style of the iPad Pro keyboard. especially the water resistance created by the full cover. I just want to see them fix the issues with the keyboards failing
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2018 ---
    Heaven forbid that Apple should care about something other than taking folks money.

13. ScooterComputer, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018

ScooterComputer macrumors regular

ScooterComputer

According to the OECD, an iPad 6th Gen and Pencil would amount to 1/10th of an average Turkish family's entire wealth, including housing (Turkey is 37/38 of industrialized nations). I think it likely most Turkish families have more to deal with about now than doodling, and I question Mr. Cook's advertising of Apple's "premium-priced" products in this way contrasted with the problems in Turkey at the moment.

14. Octopuss, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018

Octopuss macrumors newbie

Apple celebrates nobody cares with nobody gives a **** created using useless thing.

15. Sevendaymelee macrumors 6502

Sevendaymelee

Turkish Children's Day? Now we're just getting ridiculous.

16. laz232, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018

laz232 macrumors regular

Lol - this is 100% Apple caring about taking peoples money: this Apple initiative is little more than advertising to get another mention in the newspapers / MSM / blog mills. If you don't believe that then I have a bridge to sell you...

17. Wash08 macrumors newbie

Wash08

When did people got so bitter, miserable and negative about everything?

18. TT_Guy macrumors newbie

TT_Guy

Exactly. Meanwhile my MB Pro 2017 has a noisy unusable low travel keyboard, is sluggish when logging in with a TB3 dongle attached and MacOS latest crashes a lot. And iOS devices still don’t use USB-C.

19. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

Seems desperate to prey on children internationally after failing in the US education market.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

What? o_O

21. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Meanwhile, Microsoft has been trying to break into the Turkish education market for years, alongside its competitors.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 24, 2018 ---
    Tech companies competing for international markets, including children, is nothing new. It just doesn't usually make the news.

22. axantas, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018

axantas macrumors regular

axantas

Remembering democracy then...

23. diipii macrumors 6502a

24. I7guy macrumors G5

Happy childrens day. Great job celebrating children, their talent and how Apple products help get the best of these talents.

25. dreadlord macrumors regular

dreadlord

It is Özgün which means 'unique' in Turkish.