Apple Celebrates World Emoji Day With an Emoji-Themed Makeover for iTunes Movies

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Today, July 17, is celebrated as World Emoji Day thanks to this day being marked on the iOS "calendar" emoji. In celebration, Apple has updated the iTunes Movies storefront with a new emoji-filled carousel that uses the popular smartphone characters to describe recent film releases, as well as older movies.

[​IMG]

Some of the films referenced include Kong: Skull Island, Beauty and the Beast, Get Out, Stephen King's It, Logan, Arrival, and more. The iTunes emoji makeover is simply a visual overhaul of the store with no sale prices appearing on any of the participating films.

[​IMG]

Apple often updates the iTunes Movies storefront to coincide with new film releases, most recently offering a LEGO makeover to celebrate the digital release of The LEGO Batman Movie. Earlier in June, a few decade-based film collections were put on sale on iTunes to give users the chance to get bundles of films together at lower prices.

(Thanks, Kenneth!)

Article Link: Apple Celebrates World Emoji Day With an Emoji-Themed Makeover for iTunes Movies

2. benz240 macrumors regular

3. ateslik macrumors regular

World Emoji Day... uh huh.

Looking for the brown pile emoji to appropriately express my thoughts. Because sometimes words are just not enough.

4. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

I'm sorry, all I see is squares with question marks because apple refuses to release emoji updates for iOS 6,7,8,9 for older devices.

5. Jsameds macrumors 68030

Maybe try using a device that's been made in the last 5 years.

6. Sunny1990, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

Sunny1990 macrumors 65816

Sunny1990

Awesome. We got new iTunes Movie storefront filled with emojis, Life is good again... ;-)

7. adamjackson macrumors 6502a

Speaking of that, is there a way to disable emoji viewing on every modern device? I have the keyboards disabled so they don't show up but if someone sends a unicode character, can I just get the string or a blank box? I can't read what any of these emoticons mean and would like to just not see them at all. No one I know uses them but when I'm reading reddit, they show up a lot and it's really annoying.

8. nt5672 macrumors 65816

Nice to see the result of Cook's innovative ideas. I believe that this will be it for 2017. Enjoy! :)

9. thisisnotmyname, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

I'm sure there will be a lot of "get off my lawn" posters in this thread but I like it. It's like a little puzzle game :)

edit: those were really clever. I didn't get Logan (although afterward I was kicking myself) or Ex Machina but the rest I did. That was a fun five minute distraction.

10. lunarworks macrumors 6502a

11. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Well, at least we can declare our dissatisfaction of it within the language...

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 3.57.36 PM.png

Are they doing this on the Apple TV's iTunes Movie Store too?

13. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Of all the conceivable wastes of time, I'm not sure I could top this. I'm on the "can I disable them" bandwagon.

14. scottrngr macrumors newbie

The new space ship campus is 80% devoted to emoji's and watch bands.

15. liveoptimistic macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2017 ---
    So my birthday is July 17th, so for years I’ve always assumed that everybody’s iPhone always showed their birthday as the date on the calendar emoji... but apparently I’m just special.