Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tim Cook has revealed that Apple has "very detailed" succession plans in place for when the time comes to replace him as chief executive of the company, but he also said he has no intention of going anywhere just yet.

In a 45-minute interview for the BBC Sounds podcast Dua Lipa: At Your Service hosted by singer Dua Lipa, Cook admitted that he does not know how long he will remain at Apple.

"I love it," he said, reflecting back on 25 years at the company. "I can't envision my life without being there, so I'll be there for a while." However, when asked if there was any succession plan at Apple, Cook continued:
"We're a company that believes in working on succession plans, so we have very detailed succession plans. Because something unpredictable can always happen. I could step off the wrong curb tomorrow. Hopefully that doesn't happen, I pray that it doesn't."

Dua Lipa: "Are you able to say who is in line for succession?"

"I can't say that, but I would say that my job is to prepare several people for the ability to succeed, and I really want the person to come from within Apple, the next CEO. So that's my role: That there's several for the board to pick from."
In the broad-ranging interview, the Apple CEO described a day in the life of Tim Cook, and shared his experience growing up in a blue-collar family in Alabama, and the arc of his career that ultimately brought him to Apple.

The 63-year-old also discussed Apple's environmental sustainability efforts, as well as his thoughts on the excessive use of smartphones, the value of collaboration and equal representation, philanthropy, and the promise and perils of AI, generative AI, and the "life-changing" potential of large language models. You can watch the full interview on YouTube.

Article Link: Apple CEO Succession Plans 'Very Detailed', Says Tim Cook

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
> I can't envision my life without being there

Well he is one of the world’s richest and most influential men thanks to Apple. At Compaq he would have just been rich even as CEO.
He's also Apple's CEO if u already dont know this...

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
He does seem like a grounded person with a strong sense of values. I think any CEO of a company such as Apple wouldn't be able to see their lives outside of that role. You really have to give your life to it.

Of all the people to sit down with why her? He’d be better off with…well…a journalist…ideally from a tech background like Zoe Thomas or Mark Gurman.
It's fun and something we're not used to seeing. She did a great job researching her topics I think.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
Of all the people to sit down with why her? He’d be better off with…well…a journalist…ideally from a tech background like Zoe Thomas or Mark Gurman.
A real journalist might have asked some akward questions, like for instance, why is Apple taking the pee out of it's customers, with upgrades almost good enough, but not quite 😏
This was just a virtue signalling PR interview, of which Tim is doing more and more of.
Having said that, he's done well for Apple, just not so well for the customers.

Wizard_of_Woz

Suspended
Nov 15, 2023
Tim Cook has been an amazing CEO. He is not Steve Jobs and that’s honestly a good thing. A lot of the things we have now we likely wouldn’t have gotten when we did it at all had jobs still been around due to his stubbornness.

I do hope the next CEO will continue his ethos without being too radical
Yeah, it is a shame we only ever saw the original Macs, Mac OS X, the iMac, iPod, iPhone, and iPad, among other things because of Steve Jobs (and company). But hey, Tim Cook is a good bean counter so there's that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.