Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MLMcMillion

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
Arkansas, USA
Yeah I mean who wants to meet people? Who wants to move their body all day to chat to people? Who needs social etiquette or dress well in public? Lunch with colleagues? We should remain at home all the time with no physical contact until we die from mental health problems. Loneliness is so cool. Am sure some Silicon Valley VCs have plans to exploit and monetize your life without a social circle. ???

So for starters, I said none of this.

The problem with open office plans is the inability to turn those things off. People need peace and quiet to get work done, especially developers and creatives.

smaffei

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Translation: They have a giant empty campus they're paying for that they need to extract some value from.

I personally would be happy never returning to the office. I have been to my office three times in the last year. I manage a remote team of contractors anyway. I can do that from anywhere on Earth.
Exactly. The drone flyovers during the announcements are not paying off I guess.

What I find interesting is the lack of info about environmental changes Apple is making to make the return to the "mothership" happen.

Apple is so good at organizing for causes, how about using the campus as a place for their employees and others to get their vaccinations?

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
he "can't wait" for Apple employees to be back at work.

I can believe this! It looks like currently, there's Tim, the photographer and that impressive-looking houseplant at the other end of the corridor for company – probably the only lifeforms on that entire level of Park…

(Maybe not even a photographer; Apple could be doing early testing of repulsorlift based holocams?)

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
"I LIKE IT SO YOU HAVE TO"

"I LIKE IT SO YOU HAVE TO"

Listen, I am top VC entrepreneur investor many accolades I work for Andressenn Horowitz we invest in many start ups designed to monetize loser grifter lifestyles. Just sit on your chair MF all day and sign up to Clubmadhouse Bets the ultimate lifestyle network designed to make you feel loved wanted wealthy. Sit down say AUMMMMM and manifest wellness into your life. Send me all your behavioral data and pay only $35 per month subscription charge together apes we are stronk.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
The problem with open office plans is

The Apple UFO isn’t open office plan. It has glass walls and super bunker basements. It is spread across many buildings like many companies there.

Sometimes open spaces work well, sometimes they don’t. It can differ from room to room, building to building, department to department, business to business.

Vlti

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2021
Montana, USA
Cook is a smart man, he sees the problem at it's heart. We need close interaction, despite it's flaws, if we want to maintain society and continue to build upon past innovation. Society isn't going to continue to innovate and improve if everyone is confined to their home office all day long only briefly interacting with people on the other end of a webcam. Might as well use a deep fake generator and create virtual coworkers/managers that hand out tasks instead. As long as they paycheck keeps coming in, what's the difference?

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
Working from home has been a blessing; no need to waste time in traffic, no need to waste money on gas, no need to use gas and pollute environment, no need to be around ******* coworkers (I was stuck with a bunch of close minded 50+ year old indian men that refused to speak english around me, even when i joined them for lunch)...

I don't miss the office AT ALL.
Yeah....

The majority of people in the western world and world in general don't have those kind of luxuries.

Reactions: ArPe

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Thanks for your contribution to the discussion...

Human chemistry shows we are social beings. Evidence like the fact that mental health issues arise during isolation supports this. For example, infants that aren't held have higher rates of developmental issues. Virtual connections are no substitute. One can debate causation vs correlation, but increased use of social media is found with statistical connection to depression and other mental health problems.

No one said you can't remote 100%, but evidence shows the harm long hours of isolation can create. Some professions demand such conditions and I feel far more sympathy for them.
True. Neanderthals lived in deep caves and they ded.

We are alive in many numbers because we made farms, cities, markets, circuses, sports arenas, gyms, nudist beaches, disco dancing dance floor, breakdancing under the bridge with the crew, toasting marshmallows with the college gang, trekking with tourists.

• Haha
Reactions: DanTSX and Hessian

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
In my year of remote work: I’ve saved countless hours on my commute, I can sleep in a little longer, I can save on gas, I can have music or YouTube videos playing in the background, if I finish my work early I can relax and stay on standby rather than being stuck at a desk trying to “look busy”, I have taken 0 sick days, most importantly I have a lot more control over my working environment.

Remote work also gives me the option to move out of state to somewhere with lower living cost rather than paying more just to stay within 30 minutes of my office. Are there some downsides to remote work? You bet! However, I think the past year has proven that remote work should be an option for office workers.

When it comes to social interaction, I agree that it is very important for humans. However, work is not the only place to get social interaction and there are far better options where you can be more yourself rather than having to wear your “professional” persona.

Just my .2

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Classic Tim Apple... almost forgot that FaceTime thingy they have on the devices after mentioning Zoom or Webex (brrrr)

Instead of giving us better cameras (even if external or be able to use my iPhone ... I don’t care) or improve work related things in FaceTime (screen, file sharing) he’s still glued to the idea of returning to open space. As a customer I don’t see anything Apple did to use their ecosystem to advance digitalization - it’s like the orchestra is there waiting, but conductor has gone missing for past decade

More imagination dear Tim and less activism... perhaps ask for a floor plan to the ID studio and pop in for a chat about what they are up to

Last edited:

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Working from home has been a blessing; no need to waste time in traffic, no need to waste money on gas, no need to use gas and pollute environment, no need to be around ******* coworkers (I was stuck with a bunch of close minded 50+ year old indian men that refused to speak english around me, even when i joined them for lunch)...

I don't miss the office AT ALL.
Its not like its a total free-for-all working from home. There are other costs involved

You are still using energy and consuming more while working from home. More dishes, more water, more power, more toilet paper, etc etc.

As far your job it kinda sounds like it might be time for a change in general , haha.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
People like to be around other people. It's normal. Social distancing is anti-human garbage. People laughing, people touching, a real celebration.
YES!! There are already plenty of reports/articles on this. It will become even more obvious in the months and years to come. Human beings need social interactions. For someone who might be single and stuck in their home 24/7 that might not be ideal to be constantly working from home. Its having a TERRIBLE effect on children specifically. I do think companies need to be more flexible and offer that to people but a total remote setup for everyone is a recipe for other kinds of disasters down the road IMO. Especially given the obnoxiously high increases in depression, anxiety, substance abuse and suicide.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Wonder how meeting 20.000 people in the spaceship exactly fosters innovation - but ready to learn!
I am perfectly happy telecommuting. However, I do miss having lunch with people from other teams. Before COVID I had four patent submissions come out of our lunches. Our lunch chatter was all over and filled with nonsense. It was always entertaining and sometimes productive.

So yes, "Innovation isn't always a planned activity."

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
YES!! There are already plenty of reports/articles on this. It will become even more obvious in the months an years to come. Human beings need social interactions. For someone who might be single and stuck in their home 24/7 that might not be ideal to be constantly working from home. Its having a TERRIBLE effect on children specifically. I do think companies need to be more flexible and offer that to people but a total remote setup for everyone is a recipe for other kinds of disasters down the road IMO. Especially given the obnoxiously high increases in depression, anxiety, substance abuse and suicide.

true true but let’s wait until Batman virus goes away and then we party stronk. Let’s keep being safe and wear Spider-Man masks. Man I wish Marvel Disney made masks.

Reactions: DanTSX

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
At some level I can't wait to return to the office also, which would signify a return to normalcy. I would also want a flexible work at home policy. But interesting tidbits about Tim Cook.

Reactions: DanTSX

wake6830

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
We are created to be social beings. We can emulate all the things we need, but nothing can match the real thing. I like the idea of creating more flexibility and have a less rigid onsite policy. I am in favor of set days people come in to foster the positive elements he is endorsing.

Thanks for your contribution to the discussion...

Human chemistry shows we are social beings. Evidence like the fact that mental health issues arise during isolation supports this. For example, infants that aren't held have higher rates of developmental issues. Virtual connections are no substitute. One can debate causation vs correlation, but increased use of social media is found with statistical connection to depression and other mental health problems.

No one said you can't remote 100%, but evidence shows the harm long hours of isolation can create. Some professions demand such conditions and I feel far more sympathy for them.

Bro just get some friends instead of making people go to the office so that you can get in some small talk. Remote work does not mean social isolation unless your personal, non-work life is already isolated.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Bro just get some friends instead of making people go to the office so that you can get in some small talk. Remote work does not mean social isolation unless your personal, non-work life is already isolated.
People make friends for life in offices and they help each other get work in future when they move to different companies. Those Friday drunk sessions work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.