Apple CEO Tim Cook Discusses Overusing Technology in New Interview

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 19, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple this morning announced the expansion of its "Everyone Can Code" initiative to 70 educational institutions across Europe, and following the announcement, Apple CEO Tim Cook spoke at Harlow College in Essex, one of the schools that will adopt the new curriculum.

The Guardian shared several of Cook's comments, which covered overuse of technology and boundaries for children.

Cook said he believes there are concepts that can't be taught using technology, and in many courses, technology shouldn't dominate.
    According to Cook, Apple cares about children out of the classroom, a topic that's notable as Apple investors recently urged Apple to do more to protect children from smartphone addiction.

Apple in early January said in a statement that it thinks deeply about how its products are used and the impact they have on people, including children. Apple takes its responsibility to protect children "very seriously," and has promised more robust parental controls for iOS devices in the future.

Though he does not have children of his own, Cook says in his own personal life, he "put some boundaries" on his nephew. "There here are some things that I won't allow; I don't want them on a social network," he said.

On the topic of learning to code, Cook spoke passionately, as he has done several times in the past. Learning to code, he says, is more important than learning a foreign language.
    Cook's full commentary, which covers diversity, coding at an early age, and the importance of the press, can be read over at The Guardian.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Discusses Overusing Technology in New Interview

2. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I know it's not what he meant, but it's kind of funny to say that a course on literature need not have technology. The word technology has obviously evolved, but written language in any form is said by some, and I would agree, to be humans' greatest invention and a groundbreaking technoogy. And then multiplied by the printed press. But that's a minor quibble given that the word technology has taken on a more specific meaning.

3. radiology macrumors 6502

radiology

Is it just me or did the headline got his message wrong?

4. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

In education, very few things replace written text. All the power to books!

5. Aussi3 macrumors 6502

Aussi3

Coding is the future it’s gonna be taught in every school if it isn’t already

6. J.C macrumors 6502

Agreed. His opinion is clearly that overuse of technology *is* something he believes in and thinks should be avoided.

7. gatearray macrumors 65816

So when can we expect to see your app, monsieur phony?

8. gregorynacu macrumors newbie

gregorynacu

Yup. The headline makes it sound as though he believes the exact opposite of what he believes. It’s taken out of its context, because in the context it is clear he thinks tech should not be used all of the time.

9. Baymowe335 macrumors 68000

What are you even talking about? He’s not only 100% right, but an incredibly intelligent and successful leader. You should respect Cook.

10. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Of course you don’t. You don’t even get technology.

11. JPack macrumors 68000

JPack

... says the CEO of a multinational technology company, whose compensation is tied almost entirely to revenue and profit performance.

That's like asking an ExxonMobil exec whether he believes oil use is related to climate change.

12. Dorje Sylas macrumors 6502

That's cool and all... but who's going to actually fund basic computer science education. So far I've read and heard a lot of lip service from big companies like Apple and Amazon, but the money isn't flowing to actual classroom teachers.

13. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

Like everything else, it automatically comes down to the individual. Just because one person doesn't have a problem with saying no to something that stimulates certain pleasure centers of the brain, there's no guarantee that the next person coming down the line won't have a problem with it as well. It's just like alcohol or anything else. Some people can handle it without a problem, others can't.

14. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

Literally the opposite of the headline but okay.

15. hortod1 macrumors regular

hortod1

Sounds exactly like something Steve Jobs would say.

16. fairuz macrumors 65816

fairuz

Yes, I thought he meant the complete opposite until I read it.

17. SgtPepper12 macrumors 6502a

SgtPepper12

Let's just say, in case you have English down, then I'd probably rather learn some programming language than another foreign language assuming I have to choose. But English is incredibly important to learn these days, it's probably something native speakers aren't completely aware of.

By the way, It's funny how he said the exact opposite from what the title of this article suggests. You should probably change that.

18. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

If you read the actual article, you'd see that the headline is wrong and that he actually does believe overuse of technology is real and not desirable.

19. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

LOL of course he would say that. I'm sure a drug cartel czar would say the same thing.

20. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Oh how mistaken he is. If I can repeat my young life, learning more foreign languages would be the top things I would do. Simply learning a language like Chinese can take you to far more places than knowing java/phyton. People do business using human language, not codes.

21. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

If someone doesn’t photoshop a meme of Tims above photo and quote as a Borg, I’ve lost faith in all humanity.

22. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

This speaks volumes to me, that he wouldn't want one of his relatives on social media.

23. thadoggfather, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018

thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

It’s weird the way he said this

He does not believe in it. As in like that it exists? or the "philosophy" of overuse which no one is advocating for?

Of course that’s not a benchmark for success. Everyone is a zombie (myself included) with a screen in front of them. We’re WALL-E’d out

Thanks Tim!