Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
That's his only job. Everything else he needs to **** and get back in his lane.

What lane would that be...seeing he's responsible for almost 140,000 employees, with the world in a devastating pandemic, setting the company's future deciding which technologies to pursue in R&D looking forward 10+ years, being engaged in new products decisions, navigating various issues in countries Apple has a presence in, managing growth and developing new market possibilities, all while keeping Apple in a position where millions of customers, the majority repeat, are willing to open their wallets and pay premium prices for products people love (with 600,000 iPhones manufactured every day of the year on average), year after year after year. And no doubt many dozens of other responsibilities that keep him busy in addition to the above.

Is there a particular lane you had in mind?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Let’s pretend that we don’t know what Tim Cook makes a year and let’s just focus on his responsibilities and contributions to Apple as a whole. I’m a true believer that only a certain criteria of people can ascertain responsibilities in this world that can actually execute and make the best possible decisions for the growth of a company, and Tim has done that on every level every single year moving forward. And then factor in the pandemic and their sales have had continual growth. There’s no better leader for Apple, then Tim Cook himself.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Let’s pretend that we don’t know what Tim Cook makes a year and let’s just focus on his responsibilities and contributions to Apple as a whole. I’m a true believer that only a certain criteria of people can ascertain responsibilities in this world that can actually execute and make the best possible decisions for the growth of a company, and Tim has done that on every level every single year moving forward. And then factor in the pandemic and their sales have had continual growth. There’s no better leader for Apple, then Tim Cook himself.
Until they elect someone new, of course.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Based on that graph technically everyone below him where paid more (via stock).

I’ve met the CEO of the company I work for and he makes around $5m... it really bizzare to think about someone having that kind of money.... even just a quarter of it would be life changing.

Textime

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
What did Cook do to actually deserve this? Somebody like Eddy Cue would take Apple to the next level.
In a world where the Kardashians make even more money with doing nothing, it’s a shame that you even say this. You should sit one day on his chair and then you’ll notice the heat.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Very frugal and efficient salaries and that’s what makes Apple better than most corporations. They pay in stocks and bonuses when performance is great.

On a related note, even though Jeff Bezos owns a ton of his own stock he is still paid the same $37,000 salary for the last 25 years. He gets about 10-12 million in bonuses. He doesn’t award himself more stock last time I looked.

redcaptrickster

Suspended
Nov 27, 2020
What lane would that be...seeing he's responsible for almost 140,000 employees, with the world in a devastating pandemic, setting the company's future deciding which technologies to pursue in R&D looking forward 10+ years, being engaged in new products decisions, navigating various issues in countries Apple has a presence in, managing growth and developing new market possibilities, all while keeping Apple in a position where millions of customers, the majority repeat, are willing to open their wallets and pay premium prices for products people love (with 600,000 iPhones manufactured every day of the year on average), year after year after year. And no doubt many dozens of other responsibilities that keep him busy in addition to the above.

Is there a particular lane you had in mind?
You just answered your own question. I don't know why you're asking me.

norbinhouston

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Houston
Apple is in rarified air. Not many companies as big as Apple. The competition for talent to run it isn't cheap. Lots of companies have gone out of business from mismanagement. So paying the Apple management this much is worth it.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
You just answered your own question. I don't know why you're asking me.

Up above you said: "Everything else he needs to **** and get back in his lane."

I'm asking you because of your statement saying he should get back in his lane. So... which lane were you thinking of?

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Financially. But not innovation or good of the public.
Wrong on both counts. Your definition of innovation may not be one that is commonly accepted when discussing what innovation really is. As far as the good of the public: money that apple donated for various causes, masks and PPE that Apple donated, etc. Seems like they have been giving back.

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
To be fair, that's a steal for Tim Apple's leadership. I like that he continues to showcase his talent at Apple over the years, and doesn't have to be one on stage all the time to show every little thing they do like Steve liked doing.

He's still a shining example that taking deep chances with your career can pay off. The cozy job at Compaq he had whereas Steve Jobs wrangled until he joined Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.