Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook has been touring Europe this week, sitting down for interviews with various media publications. Augmented reality has been a running theme in Cook's discussions, and it is a topic he brought up again in an interview with Dutch publication Bright, which is part of RTL News.

zuckerberg-metaverse.jpg

"I think AR is a profound technology that will affect everything," Cook said, echoing comments from Italy earlier in the week. "Like I said, we are really going to look back and think about how we once lived without AR."

Cook went on to say that it "won't be that long" before we live in a world where we wonder how we did without augmented reality. Cook said that virtual reality also has its uses because of how immersive it is, but it is not a replacement for real life.
"It's something you can really immerse yourself in. And that can be used in a good way. But I don't think you want to live your whole life that way. VR is for set periods, but not a way to communicate well. So I'm not against it, but that's how I look at it."
On Facebook's "metaverse," Cook said that it's important that people have an understanding of a product. "I'm really not sure the average person can tell you what the metaverse is," he added. Metaverse is a word that precedes Facebook, having first been used in the sci-fi novel "Snow Crash," but Facebook has embraced it, going as far as renaming the company "Meta." Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg has said that the company is committed to developing a "metaverse," aka a future digital reality.

Apple is hard at work on its own virtual and augmented reality headset that's expected to be released in 2023, followed by AR "Apple Glasses" that could come out in 2024, but Cook has made it clear that Apple does not want to keep people from actual reality.

As he often does, Cook also spoke on the importance of programming as a universal language, and he touched on topics like climate change, recycling, and politics. Cook's full interview can be read over at Bright using Google translate for those who do not speak Dutch.

Cook this week also spent time in London visiting AFC Richmond, home of "Ted Lasso," Italy where he was awarded with an Honorary Degree in Innovation and International Management, and Germany, where he celebrated Oktoberfest and met up with developers.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm Not Really Sure the Average Person Can Tell You What the Metaverse Is'

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
This is what will benefit Apple greatly as a first mover into this new market. Soon, there will be different metaverses - you can be certain only Apple Reality devices will be able to enter Apple's metaverse.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
Haha, Tim

Zuckerberg says there will be 1 billion people using metaverse in the next 10 years:

that's a lot of furries.

to be fair tho. ar is in pretty much every car now so a lot of people use it daily. just not on their phones.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Guess I'm old (46). I don't want anything to do with this ar/metaverse nonsense at all. I don't want a headset. I don't want glasses. I don't want implants. And I'm super tired of being presented with for-profit visions of the future.

You just haven't found anything in VR that would click with you yet. You'll find something you'll like. Just ask this guy:

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Something is definitely coming soon from Apple as in the past Tim would say its an area of interest but that would be about it. Now, he is starting to talk more and more so I guess the marketing mill is starting
Will be interesting what will Apple give us as AR/VR is very young and not as useful as it could be.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Guess I'm old (46). I don't want anything to do with this ar/metaverse nonsense at all. I don't want a headset. I don't want glasses. I don't want implants. And I'm super tired of being presented with for-profit visions of the future.
Eventually I think people will tire of it. It's the same exact stuff as reality but repackaged for resale. Another form of escapism and fantasy until reality intervenes one way or another.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Eventually I think people will tire of it. It's the same exact stuff as reality but repackaged for resale. Another form of escapism and fantasy until reality intervenes one way or another.

This is why I keep saying VR > AR. There's just way more fun stuff in VR. Stuff like fighting through the trenches of WWII committing espionage for the Allies, or face to face with Darth Vader as he assesses whether or not I'm fit to live or not, or being thrusted into a gladiatorial arena fighting others in the pit for fame and glory, playing poker with some strangers around the world in an old wild west saloon or a spy supervillain's volcano lair. Literally anyone can be a thrillseeker and do things they could never do in real life without any danger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.