Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Tim Cook seems to love the government and politics. Why can't he just focus on Apple solely and enrich lives? I just don't see innovation and politics going together. It always becomes a burden.
When you head up a global company, politics becomes an inevitable part of the equation, doesn't it. Gone are the days when Steve Jobs was tinkering in the garage with Wozniak and building the microcomputer that would help pave the way for their future, and have such a massive worldwide impact in the decades to follow.

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
Tim Cook seems to love the government and politics. Why can't he just focus on Apple solely and enrich lives? I just don't see innovation and politics going together. It always becomes a burden.
Because Apple doesn't exist to "enrich lives" or innovate. They exist to make money. Obscene amounts of money. And that requires colluding with lawmakers to rig the system in their favor.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I don't think I've ever seen a photo of Tim Cook looking that grumpy/pissed, let alone not smiling (although TBF, I can't say I'd be happy if I also had to take such a trip myself).
Remember the time he was called Tim Apple five years ago? :D

re7c23evo5kz.jpg

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I hope Greg “Joz” Joswiak - (Senior Vice President Worldwide Marketing) is going with him.

I can’t imagine him enjoying those types of discussions. I see it as a necessary evil I guess. If legislators start hacking at Apple it’s going to make it tough for Apple to focus on innovation.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Time to write checks to the GOP now. lol
Man, both of our corrupt political parties are disgusting. They are there serving their donors.
It's amazing how most of the American people don't figure this out.

Reactions: Morgenland

Botts85

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2007
I can’t imagine him enjoying those types of discussions. I see it as a necessary evil I guess. If legislators start hacking at Apple it’s going to make it tough for Apple to focus on innovation.
This is exactly why. Apple needs to ensure they aren't caught in the political crossfire. Many many Apple jobs exist in Republican states and it's important that Republican legislators remember that.

Disney didn't, and it's likely going to cause them a ton of hurt with DeSantis' removal of Reedy Creek's ID status.
Time to write checks to the GOP now. lol
Man, both of our corrupt political parties are disgusting. They are there serving their donors.
It's amazing how most of the American people don't figure this out.

Apple's donations are actually fairly limited. Corporately, I think they only (likely mistakenly) donated $5025 in the 2022 election cycle. In the 2020 cycle, Apple corporately donated just $2894. Discussions with legislators doesn't mean Apple is giving money.

As per Apple employees and their immediate families? In the 2022 cycle, they donated $1.2M to Democrats contrasted with $98,000 to Republicans. In the 2020 cycle, it was $6.4M to Democrats versus $318K to Republicans.

reminds me of these mob bosses ,only lacks a black cat

View attachment 2120865
At first I thought that was BlackBerry and you were making a joke about Louis Rossmann's cat 😂

ddavid

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008

Apple CEO Tim Cook this week traveled to Washington, D.C. to meet with top Republican lawmakers, reports Bloomberg. Cook is said to be aiming to create ties with the GOP as it prepares to assume control of the House in the new year.

tim-cook-data-privacy-day.jpg

Cook has scheduled meetings with Ohio's Jim Jordan, California's Darrell Issa, and Washington's Cathy McMorris Rodgers. Jordan and McMorris Rodgers will likely be involved with committees that are overseeing the tech industry, heading up the House Judiciary Committee and the House Energy and Commerce Committee, respectively.

Apple is dealing with U.S. antitrust legislation that could result in major changes to the company's App Store policies. There are five separate bipartisan bills that are being considered, and just this week, Twitter CEO Elon Musk spurred lawmaker interest in Apple with his claim that Apple has threatened to "withhold Twitter from its App Store" and has stopped advertising on Twitter.

As Bloomberg points out, Cook's meetings were scheduled weeks before Musk's Twitter rant, but Twitter could be a topic of discussion. Jim Jordan, who Cook is meeting with, has publicly supported Musk, for example.

Cook will also meet with Republican Senator John Cornyn from Texas, Democratic Senator Martin Heinrich from New Mexico and Democratic Senator Brian Schatz from Hawaii as Apple aims to steer regulators away from App Store legislation and questions about the company's device manufacturing in China.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Meeting With Republican Lawmakers in Washington
I hope they sort it out. I’ve been a Mac user for many (many) years and stubbornly use their products in the office and studio, even when I’m going against the grain and am the only group using Macs. I’ve stuck with them through the PowerPC years until this day, and have adopted most of their iStuff into my personal and family life. I’m not a fanboy, but I prefer Apple.

As much as I’ve fought to use Macs, there is one thing that would cause me to call it quits. If they were to start censoring developers and apps for politics I would be done. I don’t care if they advertise with Twitter or not, but if they cave to pressures to dump the Twitter app because Musk won’t ban and censor those the mob dislikes, id leave. I’m stubborn that way.

If someone breaks the rules, sure, ban them. But Twitter has had a history for banning people for political reasons, absent any breaking of rules, for example The New York Post was suspended for their Hunter Biden Laptop “disinformation“. Or the banning of public figures that Twitter employees found loathsome but who had not broken any rules. The mob cheered. It helped their cause and they looked at Twitter as an ally. Now they’re mad that Musk is attempting to even the field and allow anyone to post freely as long as they don’t break the rules.

the mob hates this and is attempting to shut down freedom of speech for those they dislike (I dislike many of them too) by attempting to browbeat advertisers and get Apple to remove the Twitter App. I really can’t imagine the Apple I’ve known for decades would do this, especially since they started out with their anti mob, anti-1984 advertising and philosophy.

I truly hope they stay out of this.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I hope Greg “Joz” Joswiak - (Senior Vice President Worldwide Marketing) is going with him.

If you were the head of a company, and you had the opportunity to meet directly with a legislator, why wouldn’t you make the time? This is not diverting his focus away from running the company — it is his job. I’m guessing the heads of the other large tech companies will be meeting with legislators as well. I see only positives from such meetings — speaking directly with someone is better than forming an opinion based on how the media [mis]characterizes them.

Last edited:

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Apple's donations are actually fairly limited. Corporately, I think they only (likely mistakenly) donated $5025 in the 2022 election cycle. In the 2020 cycle, Apple corporately donated just $2894. Discussions with legislators doesn't mean Apple is giving money.

As per Apple employees and their immediate families? In the 2022 cycle, they donated $1.2M to Democrats contrasted with $98,000 to Republicans. In the 2020 cycle, it was $6.4M to Democrats versus $318K to Republicans.
Don't fool yourself into thinking gigantic corporations like Apple only donate what is stipulated. They have ways to circumvent these restrictions. Remember, the system is corrupt by design.

Reactions: bobcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.