Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cook_hero.png
Apple CEO Tim Cook will deliver the 2017 Commencement address at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the university announced today.
"Mr. Cook's brilliance as a business leader, his genuineness as a human being, and his passion for issues that matter to our community make his voice one that I know will resonate deeply with our graduates," MIT President L. Rafael Reif says. "I am delighted that he will join us for Commencement and eagerly await his charge to the Class of 2017."
In a statement, Cook said he was looking forward to speaking to MIT's graduating class in 2017. The Commencement will take place on Friday, June 9.
"Apple stands at the intersection of liberal arts and technology, and we're proud to have many outstanding MIT graduates on our team," Cook says. "We believe deeply that technology can be a powerful force for good, and I'm looking forward to speaking to the Class of 2017 as they look ahead to making their own mark on the world."
Cook has previously given Commencement speeches at George Washington University and Auburn University, his alma mater.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook to Deliver 2017 MIT Commencement Address

Reactions: Darkwalker

Theophany

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
NW London.
Not at all bashing Tim here, I'm just saying--

Nothing will ever, ever beat Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Speech.

I dunno. I think Tim Cook will be a pretty inspirational speaker. He comes from the Deep South, heads up the most well known firm in the world which is also incredibly progressive in its views and is the first openly gay CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

All the gripes about Apple's product line and whatnot aside, he's a pretty fascinating guy and I reckon will knock this out of the park.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
"Mr. Cook's brilliance as a business leader, his genuineness as a human being, and his passion for issues that matter to our community make his voice one that I know will resonate deeply with our graduates"

---

I can't be the only one that finds this funny. At the bottom of this thread, these are the "Similar threads" picked by MacRumors' algorithm.

Attachments

• Capture Timmy.PNG
    Capture Timmy.PNG
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,501

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
At the end of the speech, I'm envisioning Tim up on stage pointing to the audience and going, "You get an iPhone, and you get an iPhone, and you get an iPhone! Everybody gets an iPhone!" like Oprah did with the car thing years ago.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
I dunno. I think Tim Cook will be a pretty inspirational speaker. He comes from the Deep South, heads up the most well known firm in the world which is also incredibly progressive in its views and is the first openly gay CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

All the gripes about Apple's product line and whatnot aside, he's a pretty fascinating guy and I reckon will knock this out of the park.

I think he is boring, has no orator skills, and comes across as full of BS. He should hand out free dongles at the speech. I don't think I'm being harsh. He obviously is a brilliant guy and his push on social issues is to be commended. Maybe he could push those issues after he retires though. Apple needs a leader.

I find in general his presentations at Apple events have been weak, and the whole presentations are not working. And i'm so sick of here John say.. "our most advances ever, with superb..." If john doesn't want to be there in person, than I don't want to hear him either.

I do like craig federighi!

Last edited:

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016

Steve Jobs was a man that changed several industries and made a huge impact in the world. Tim Cook is just a wall street CEO that likes to play social justice warrior and made a watch. I would never be interested in anything he has to stay. Steve Jobs, I would pay money to hear him speak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.