Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple CEO Tim Cook to Deliver Virtual Commencement Address for Ohio State University Students

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook will deliver the commencement address at Ohio State University's virtual commencement event that's set to take place on May 3, Ohio State President Michael Drake announced today.

The event, which will be live streamed, will kick off at noon local time, with 12,000 diplomas to be awarded virtually to students. The broadcast will include Cook's commencement speech, musical performances, and with Drake and university officials in traditional commencement regalia at Ohio Stadium, which will be empty of students.
"I am delighted to welcome Tim Cook as our spring commencement speaker," Drake said. "We are grateful for Mr. Cook's participation in this important tradition and know his unique insights will guide Buckeyes as they continue to innovate the future."
Ohio State has an ongoing relationship with Apple and in 2017, established an education and research partnership with Apple through the university's Digital Flagship initiative, which features an iOS design library and provides students with opportunities to learn coding skills.

Cook often attends commencement events at universities to inspire and motivate students. He has spoken at Stanford, Tulane, MIT, George Washington University, Auburn University, and more.

(Thanks, Joe!)

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook to Deliver Virtual Commencement Address for Ohio State University Students

xxray

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2013
For someone as active as I am on this site, it’s pretty disappointing not getting to see Tim Cook speak in person and not being able to walk across the stage to get my diploma after years of hard work. Still glad Cook is part of it though.

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
Those who said VR will never take off are being proven wrong: Virtual commencement address for a virtual graduation for the students who'll end up working at a virtual office (if they're lucky).

Reactions: RalfTheDog
Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
The first one he did (before he was Apple CEO) was the best. It was what a commencement speech should be and not full of politics/PC nonsense.

Comment

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I wonder if it will be open to the public.

I just hope tOSU does an event that lets the graduates file through the horseshoe at a later date.

OH

IO!

That community in CBus would even organize their own event if the school didn’t officially do so. Great people.
I have a niece that’s a senior in high school this year and her school is trying to organize a walk.

Comment

RowellE

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
This is how they should’ve done the March event. Just live streamed without an audience.

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Those who said VR will never take off are being proven wrong: Virtual commencement address for a virtual graduation for the students who'll end up working at a virtual office (if they're lucky).

AR could take off in this environment we’re in as well too. Graduate students stepping up onto a podium, pictures of their graduating class in gowns superimposed into the background in seats .... can be done both ways.

PS hasCook not already done a commencement for Duke? Is this an attention grab movement?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.