Apple CEO Tim Cook to Field Questions at Utah Tech Tour With Senator Orrin Hatch

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Sep 29, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook will participate in a Q&A session with U.S. senator Orrin Hatch this Friday, as part of the senator's Utah Tech Tour (via AppleInsider).

The event is being held to highlight the state's technology community, and the Apple chief is scheduled to give a short address before taking questions from Hatch and members of the public. An online form has also been set up for submitting questions for possible inclusion in the Q&A.

[​IMG]

It's not clear what topics will be up for discussion during the event, although Apple's run-in with the government over encryption and privacy issues following the San Bernardino shooting case is likely to be on the agenda.

Senator Hatch serves as the Chairman of the Senate Republican High-Tech Task Force, and in April he invited members of the Senate to a special Q&A session with one of the lawyers Apple hired to head its legal team during its dispute with the FBI.

The Utah Tech Tour takes place at the Grand America in Salt Lake City, from 5.30pm to 7pm MDT on Friday, September 30. The event is open to the public. Tickets of limited availability can be ordered online via the Utah Tech Tour website.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook to Field Questions at Utah Tech Tour With Senator Orrin Hatch

2. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

Political? Huh! When are the new Macs coming out of your "pipeline" ?

3. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

I am seeing this said so much here and it reminds me of back in 2014 when people were repeatedly asking about the MacMini, then when it did arrive it was nowhere close to being what everyone appeared to want. I for one went straight out and bought an i7 2012 model.

I really hope I don't feel the same way about the new MBP and Air when they are finally announced.

Sorry for being off topic.

4. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Ideally they start bothering again and getting the Mac value back on track (I always knew about the Apple premium price, but right now you're paying Apple multitudes)

To be frank, sometimes I'm secretly glad when they DON'T touch something. Seen way too many updates from them that made products worse.

Glassed Silver:mac

5. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

That is such a damning, and revealing statement, although obviously many will say it is subjective. Personally I agree though, demonstrated by my buying an old version of a newly announced product.

Another example is that I would have almost certainly bought an iPhone 7+ for the new camera but I want to be able to both charge and use wired headphones at the same time, so for me it is not fit for purpose anymore.

6. Mr Fusion macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

"Utah Tech" that's a good oxymoron.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Read your history. Novell, who practically invented networking for businesses, was located there. There are likely more tech companies in Utah than anywhere else in the US except Silicon Valley and NYC.

8. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

They're going to cook up a brilliant plan to hatch.

9. justiny Contributor

justiny

Not to mention the NSA Data Center. I wonder if that is also on the "tour"?

Oh, the irony...

10. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

Well er um....look over there!!! Its the Goodyear Blimp!!!

11. Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

Novell, Adobe, Micron, Vivint, eBay, E.M.C., Qualtrics, Indy Built, L3, Boeing, Logitech, Project Gutenberg, Clearlink.

And oh, yes, the NSA's largest data center (that we know about).

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Orrin Hatch is my goto guy for high technology.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

...and WordPerfect (yes I am old). :)

14. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Utah actually has a booming tech sector.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2016 ---
    Why is this in PRSI anyway?

15. arkmannj macrumors 65816

arkmannj

I was thinking that too. Also Iomega, We also have a several Microsoft buildings, Universities that are well known in technology, quite a few start-ups... and Comic Con, Fantasy Con, etc.. keep getting better and better :)

Lots of inventors. for example: Inventor of TV was born in Utah

all that aside... I face-palm when I hear Hatch and Technology mentioned in the same sentence.

16. xbjllb macrumors 65816

xbjllb

17. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

Agreed on the corporate welfare part, but let me impart a view from the "guest worker" side.

Back in the late 90s, I was transplanted from a middle European country to Silicon Valley by means of an L1-A (similar to H1).
    After the sticker-shock, I ended up being payed less in adjusted terms, than at my old job in the same company.
    Not to mention, shouldering 80% of the relocation costs. So I discovered the same company that dressed up this "promotion" was paying me 60cents on the dollar of a US citizen and this was during the boom years. Come 2003, after surviving several rounds of company lay-offs I got hit too. Terms of the L1 are such, that you have 30 days to find another job or leave the country. Average application time for a new H1 is somewhere between 6-9 months, so that's a non-starter.

Suffice to say, I have no sympathy for corporate greed. Regardless of residency status, workers in US companies get hired and fired faster than anywhere else in the western world.

Cooks argument that he cannot find enough skilled workers in the US to manufacture locally is bogus.
    What he really means is that he cannot find enough suckers willing to work for a lot less than he has to pay US citizens & Green Card holders. Hence, Cook is lobbying to increase said H1 visas to displace more resident workers.

These type of visas are not meant for iPhone assemblers, gosh, they're paid pittance over in China, but for middle-management and technologists. The guy or gal working in Pre-Sales, Tech-Marketing or architecture for around $150K to be "on-shored" for $70-90K instead, then fired when convenient.

FWIW, European companies do similar things by laying off employees and hiring consultants in place, albeit the pay-gap is considerably less and social service structures are far more intact, "still".