Apple Cert. Refurb Choice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Steve(NotJobs), Mar 9, 2008.

1. Steve(NotJobs) macrumors newbie

I have an iBook G4 that is seriously beginning to slow me down.
    -Battery on full charge will only last about 2.5hrs
    -Randomly switches off
    -Randomly closes programmes
    -It's still on Tiger
    -Blown speakers
    -Scratched,dirty,blemished.

The time is fast approaching where a new mac needs to be purchased!
    I'm thinking Refurbished, as other options are a wee bit too expensive for me.

Option 1:Refurbished MacBook
    Display 13.3-inch (diagonal; 1280 by 800 resolution, Glossy TFT wide-screen
    Processor; 2.2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 1GB (two 512MB) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
    PCI Express graphics; Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
    Hard disk drive; 120GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
    Slot-loading optical drive; 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CR-RW)
    Expansion; One FireWire 400, two USB 2.0 ports
    Video; Built-in iSight camera, mini DVI, VGA, S-Video & Composite video (requires adapters, sold separately)
    Audio; Combined optical digital input/audio line in, combined optical digital output/headphone out, built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone
    Ethernet; Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)
    Wireless; Built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11n); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR Dimensions & Weight
    Weight; 5.0 pounds
    Footprint; 12.78 by 8.92 inches
    Thickness; 1.08 inch
    Hardware accessories 85W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-polymer battery.
    929 euros

Option 2:Model Refurbished 20-inch iMac
    Processor 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    L2 Cache 4MB Shared
    System bus 800MHz
    Memory 1GB (one SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300), supports up to 4GB
    Hard drive 250GB Serial ATA; 7200 rpm
    Optical drive Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive with 4x double-layer burning (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Display 20-inch (viewable) glossy widescreen TFT active-matrix LCD, 1680 by 1050 pixels, millions of colors
    Video Built-in iSight; mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video connections via adapter
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB of GDDR3 memory
    FireWire One FireWire 400 and one FireWire 800 port; 7 watts each
    USB Three USB 2.0 ports on computer; two USB 2.0 ports on keyboard
    Audio Built-in stereo speakers with 24-watt digital amplifier, built-in microphone, optical digital audio output/headphone out, optical digital audio input/audio line in
    Ethernet Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)
    Wireless Built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11n); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module
    Hardware accessories Apple Remote, Apple Keyboard, and Mighty Mouse
    Other Built-in IR receiver
    Size and weight
    Height: 46.9 cm
    Width: 48.5 cm
    Depth: 18.9 cm
    Weight: 9.1 kg
    999 euro

Can anybody tell me the better choice, have any comments, or any better suggestions?
    And, if I DO end up buying new, where would I get the best deal?

Thanks a mil guys!

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Based on your two options, it comes down this:

Do you want to be portable?

If yes (or sometimes), choose the MacBook.
    If no, choose the iMac.

Don't forget that you're upgrading from a portable. Ask yourself if you still want to be mobile, and if you'll miss not being able to work on the go.

3. Pacer69 macrumors member

I can tell you this, friend, and listen well for it was an expensive lesson for me:

Several years ago, I tried to go from a laptop (PowerBook) to a desktop (iMac) and I nearly went INSANE being chained to my desk. Oh sure, the new DT was all fancy, shiny and quick. The problem was wow, it couldn't really travel with me offsite or even to the sofa.

I was into a new PowerBook within six months, sold the desktop...and am now, three more Apple laptops later, still a happy man...and getting ready to order a new MacBook.

Don't make the same mistake I did! :eek: ;)

As for the best pricing, Amazon seems to be it right now unless you can get the Edu discount. I'm sorry I don't know what your options are in Europe, but it's the best deal going across the pond here at the moment. You might also consider an Apple Store refurb.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

laptop >> desktop. I'll never buy a desktop...ever.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Good for you.

Now how does this non-sequitur opinion of yours help the OP in any way??

Perhaps if you had listed some of the reasons WHY you prefer notebooks to desktops it would be a bit more helpful.

To the OP I agree that it all boils down to what your needs are. I would love to own a MB or MBP in addition to my 24" alu iMac but for me personally the portability is only a luxury and not something I need. For the amount of hours I spend in front of my computer I much prefer the large screen real estate.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Thanks! I treasure the portability inherent in laptops over the lack of mobility in desktops, and for someone coming from a laptop, another laptop would better fit his usage habits than a desktop.

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I can respect that. It's all about what the individual prefers.

As desktops go, the iMacs are among the most mobile you will find. I'm not saying you could use it as a notebook replacement but with it's all-in-one design and compact, streamlined frame it is not that much of a chore to move around. That is especially the case with the 20".

I'm not sure which notebook you're using but in the case of the two machines the OP is considering the 20" iMac also outspecs the MB in both HD (both speed and storage) and (more importantly IMO), video card with the MB using the onboard GMA X3100. This should also come into consideration. The iMac also has a Firewire 800 port which can make a big difference when adding external storage if he decides to do so down the road. If it was the iMac up against an MBP it wouldn't be as much of an issue since they're quite comparable hardware-wise.

Thanks for the elaboration on your opinion. :)

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

No problem; you're right about the advantages of the iMac. I'm on a Macbook, but if he's looking for performance above all, the iMac is by far the better option of the two. Good post. :cool: