Apple Certifications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chuchichan, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Chuchichan macrumors 6502

I'm now looking to apply for jobs in the education sector.. My background had been in IT support in at financial institutions.

So, I'm now looking into getting some Apple certifications. I'm first wondering if they are worth getting and also which one you would recommend going for first.

Should I first go for a "Apple Certified Associate - Mac Management 10.9" and then possibly after that the Mac Integration 10.9?

Thanks very much in advance for pointing me in the right direction...

2. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Many employers will pay for certifications that are required for employment. Mine pays for A+, Dell, Lenovo, HP, Apple if they are needed and the employee doesn't already have it. Some of that goes hand in hand with being a "partner" with the vendor, that also makes the training material freely available to those in the company seeking certifications with the vendor.

4. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I am in a bit of a different situation than what you refer to. I am looking to expand my IT realm into Mac and would like to know the best certification to go for in my situation. I've dealt mainly with PCs and would like to get into IT support in the academic area. Would MacManagement 10.9 be best to go for? I understand that Yosemite is coming out, so maybe waiting for that?

Thanks in advance.

5. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Can anyone help out with my situation? Better to wait for Yosemite? Are the 10.9 Management and 10.9 Integration certs worthwhile?

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The certs you mention don't look as involved as the ACSP cert but that doesn't mean they'd be worthless. The ACSP also qualifies you to join the Apple Consultants Network.

I don't remember when the exams are updated for a new OS but it seems like it takes a few months. Until then the current ones are still given.

7. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply. I'm living in Japan now, so I would probably start with the ACA ones. I guess just to get a couple listed on my resume. Are you (or is anyone) familiar with these exams? On the Apple site, the material it recommends for preparation are some PDFs that we can download. Are there other materials that you would recommend other than or in conjunction with them?

I think once I get those, I would try for the ACSP, but that can just be done at authorized training centers, so I'd have to do that in the States...

Thanks again in advance for any advice you can provide me.

8. Butchie-T macrumors regular

Mac management and Mac basics both can be taken in the comfort of your own home. I am just about ready to take the basics exam and will then do the management exam. I just finished up taking Mavericks 101 and 201 and have set up a mini network at home to go through the labs again while I continue to learn and get smarter with OS X.

Those two tests will need to be proctored. So, you will need to find a Pearson Vue test center where you live when you are ready to take them. If you do not have the study material yet, Peachpit has both books you will need to study for the exams. OS X Support Essentials and OS X Server Essentials 10.9 or 10.10 are listed on their site.

9. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Butchie-T. By Mac Management, you are referring to "Mac Management 10.9" and by "Mac basics" you are referring to "Mac Integration 10.9"?

When you say you "took" Mavericks 101 and 201, do you mean you took a training class for it? That would help you also prepare for the ACSP and/or ATSC certs?

10. Butchie-T macrumors regular

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, Mac Integration Basics 10.9 and Mac Management Basics 10.9.

Mavericks 101 and 201 are training courses for the respective exams for OS X Support Essentials 10.9 (Mavericks 101), and OS X Server Essentials 10.9 (Mavericks 201). Yes, I just took both of these training courses. There are also training courses for the maintenance certification exams as well.

You can look for an Authorized Apple Training Center at this link: https://aatcportal.apple.com/AATCWeb/locations

You can find more information about the OS X certifications here: http://training.apple.com/certification/osxmav

These certifications do not include the maintenance exams. That info is here: http://training.apple.com/certification/acmt

11. Gratefuldad, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

Gratefuldad macrumors newbie

Gratefuldad

I've been in the IT business since 2001 and other than a resume padder the integration & Management are a waste of time if you are looking for certs. for personal knowledge then I'd say its worth it.
    I would go more for the ACSP OSX 10.X. I am certified in 10.8 and am probably going to start studying for the Mavericks or wait for the Yosemite material to come out.. ACSP or ACTC. Best way to look at it is the ACSP is more desktop support and ACTC is more server admin.

12. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all for the replies. I have been in IT support in financial institutions. I'm looking for something now in academia (Educational Technologist). Maybe down the road do a Masters in ETL. For now I was looking for some certs to get my foot into the Apple support door. It seems that many positions ask for Apple certs without mentioning any specifics, so I thought I'd start out with those two.

Would you say that the PDF guides that Apple supplies in their site are sufficient material for prep?

13. Butchie-T macrumors regular

For Mac Integration Basics 10.9 and Mac Management Basics 10.9 the PDF's are enough as the respective tests come from the info in them. In case you did not come across that info you, both of those exams are open book and you can take them on-line at your home.

For the Support Essentials 10.9 and the Server Essentials 10.9 you will need the PeachPit books. Those are the official Apple training guides for those two exams.
    These tests will need to be taken at a Prometric Vue testing location.

----------

I agree with you that the two exams you mention are potentially a waste of time. But my company will pay the exam fees so I'm gonna take them as it is no cost to me.