Apple Certifications

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by TDPHunter, Aug 30, 2007.

1. TDPHunter macrumors member

TDPHunter

Hi there,

I am a student at a vocational school training to become a network administrator. Now, I have my A+ and Network+ Certifications and am working towards a CCNA, CWNA. Right now Im persuing the MCP and then MCSE after MCP before I go to Cisco.

Anyway, I was wondering about certifications that Apple offers. Since I am a Mac user and would like to work for them someday. Information on what I should look into or try to add to my resume would be helpful.

Thanks everyone,
    -Jake

2. dricci macrumors 6502a

Apple has a few different types of certs. There's the Mac OS System Test (Covers OS X and other software concepts), Desktop (iMac, PowerMac, etc) and Portable Tests (laptops).

To get a technician certification, you need at least the OS and Desktop exam. You should also consider the Portable exam just to make sure you're ready for any apple employer (most Apple Service Providers service portables in house, unlike Apple Stores).

There are higher end certs for things like OS X Server, Administration, and Pro apps, so it depends on if you want to be more software or hardware based.

Two things to keep in mind: Apple certs expire after one year (you have to re-certify, but this is open book and can be done online through prometric) and you are not authorized to service Apple hardware unless you're working for an Authorized Repair Center. (So basically, if you're not looking to become a hardware technician, you may want to stick with the software certifications for more practical experience).