Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
quick question here. Im starting to look towards buying an iPod Photo to replace my dying 3G 30GB iPod. I noticed that an "Apple Certified Refurbished" 30GB iPod Photo for $299 (current cost of a new 20GB). Now, has anyone ever purchased a refurbished iPod? if so, how is the quality? I dont want to buy something that is a little scratched up or dinged up. Does it come in a box and everything?

Reason i ask is because a 'new' 30GB iPod that is 'for sale' on the apple store goes for about $30 more than a refurbished.

I hope someone can help, ive never bought a refurbished product from apple before.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Are you saying the difference is only $30 between used and refurb? I would rather pay $30 more for a new one.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I guess you are right, im just pretty tight on funds, but i think i can squeeze out an extra $30.

I would just go for the 20GB at $299 new, but my music collection goes up to about 16GB, and my photo collection is about 3 or 4GB right now (constantly growing), so 20 would be a tight fit.

so i can get a 30GB Photo new for $329, plus free same day shipping :)

tom5304

macrumors regular
May 7, 2005
I had a very similar situation to yours. My music collection is up around 17gb (and slowly growing), so I figured the new 20gb iPod would do the trick. I bought the 20gb on the first day of availability, and quickly discovered that it's actual capacity is really only 18.5gb, which made the capacity issue a whole lot tighter.

So, after about a week, I took the 20gb back to the Apple store and asked to exchange it for a refurbsished 30gb iPod Photo. Well, they didn't have refurbished in stock, but they did have a lot of "Refreshed" 30gb Photos. The one I saw was a wreck, having served as a floor model. For another $30 I could pick up a new 30gb iPod Photo, so that's what I went with.

I've noticed some significant differences between the 30gb Photo and the newer 20gb model. First, I never felt or heard the hard drive in the 20gb, but the 30gb Photo makes the faintest sound and also feels like there's a jumping bean inside it. No big deal at all, but it is different. Also, the 30gb Photo has a habit of starting a song, and then going silent for a second or even two, and then continues playing. The 20gb never had that problem.

Hope all this miscellania is helpful in your decision...

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
tom5304 said:
I've noticed some significant differences between the 30gb Photo and the newer 20gb model. First, I never felt or heard the hard drive in the 20gb, but the 30gb Photo makes the faintest sound and also feels like there's a jumping bean inside it. No big deal at all, but it is different. Also, the 30gb Photo has a habit of starting a song, and then going silent for a second or even two, and then continues playing. The 20gb never had that problem.

I bought a new 30GB iPod photo last month and it certainly doesn't have the HD noise issue or the trouble you're having with going silent during the first few seconds of a song. You should definitely take it in to the Apple store and have it looked at...

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
tom, that HD problem could just be a slight manufacturing problem or something. i've had my 3G 30GB iPod replaced 3 times under warranty. each one was slightly different than the other one, in terms of HD noise, backlight brightness...etc. Also it could of been a different brand of drive than what was in the 20GB. Not all ipods are made equal it seems.

anyway, i spent the extra 30 bucks and ordered a new 30GB Photo, im so excited, i cant wait to get it!

And if people are still reading this thread, i hope you can answer a couple more questions for me:

the 30GB iPod Photo comes only with a USB cable and AC Adapter. Now, im assuming that the AC Adapter is of the USB type, not the firewire type (like I have already). Reason I ask is because I want to use my current dock and firewire cable for my new Photo when it arrives, and give my current iPod to my brother, so I want to give him the USB cable and AC Adapter... i'll be the one filling the music for him, so all he needs to is charge it, that should work right?

thanks!!

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
Lancetx said:
I bought a new 30GB iPod photo last month and it certainly doesn't have the HD noise issue or the trouble you're having with going silent during the first few seconds of a song. You should definitely take it in to the Apple store and have it looked at...
Yea, my 30GB iPod Photo never had any of these problems either, works beautifully!!!!!

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
JeDiBoYTJ said:
quick question here. Im starting to look towards buying an iPod Photo to replace my dying 3G 30GB iPod. I noticed that an "Apple Certified Refurbished" 30GB iPod Photo for $299 (current cost of a new 20GB). Now, has anyone ever purchased a refurbished iPod? if so, how is the quality? I dont want to buy something that is a little scratched up or dinged up. Does it come in a box and everything?

Reason i ask is because a 'new' 30GB iPod that is 'for sale' on the apple store goes for about $30 more than a refurbished.

I hope someone can help, ive never bought a refurbished product from apple before.
I purchased an 40GB iPod Photo from the Apple Certified Refurbished Section right after it was discontinued. i found that the iPod was in "Brand New" condition. I think Apple was just trying to get rid of its stock of 40GB iPods. I believe it's the same situation with the 30GB iPod photo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.