Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Can anyone recommend a repair service for a 2015 MacBook 12” that needs a battery replacement? I’d like to check on the price of the repair. I’m not sure it would be worth the money.

I found a You-Tube video on how to self-service the battery replacement. Very daunting with glued down and multiple batteries!

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Apple will charge $199. If I were in your position, I would have Apple replace the battery, seeing how you don’t have a personal and trusted history with a repair center.

Thanks! I guess I’ll have to ship it to Apple as our local store is closed due to the Pandemic. For $200 and shipping I’d do it. A non-local place wanted about $400.00 for the battery replacement. I thought that was a bit much, even with the complexity of the work. I see iFixit has a kit for about $135.00 or so. I’m not that handy. So Apple it is.

Last edited:

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Have Apple send you a box to ship.

Thanks for that. I did do a text session with Apple this afternoon. I was informed that it would cost $375.00 to $600 dollars to do the battery swap. The Apple rep. suggested Best Buy or a third party in my area. I guess I’d still go for a direct ship to Apple. There is no rush. With the Pandemic going on I note both Best Buy, and the third party had turn in and pick up restrictions. I get that. Once my kid gives it up, I’ll dig deeper.

I don’t know why there would such a range of cost. The MacBook currently holds a 40 minute charge. Maybe the more expensive end is if the battery has swelled? I might go $375.00, but that is stretching it. The backstory here is that I’ve ordered a replacement MacBook Air for my kid. I was just trying to have an alternative to my iPad Pro 12.9” 2018 w/MK. Kind of bring the old boy home ;) I still have a Mac XL, a Newton, and several old Mac sitting in the closet that don’t work ;) I’m and old softie Apple fan I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0128672

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks for that. I did do a text session with Apple this afternoon. I was informed that it would cost $375.00 to $600 dollars to do the battery swap. I don’t know why there would such a range of cost. The MacBook currently holds a 40 minute charge. Maybe the more expensive end is if the battery has swelled? I might go $375.00, but that is stretching it. The backstory here is that I’ve ordered a replacement MacBook Air for my kid. I was just trying to have an alternative to my iPad Pro 12.9” 2018 w/MK. Kind of bring the old boy home ;) I still have a Mac XL, a Newton, and several old Mac sitting in the closet that don’t work ;) I’m and old softie Apple fan I guess.
Why were you quoted such a high price? Unless your MacBook has physical damage from a battery swell, being dropped, it shouldn’t be more than $199 per their own site. I would not pay more than the $199, especially if the MacBook isn’t already damaged.

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
There is no damage to the laptop. I don’t know where this texting Apple rep. got their info. For $200.0 Can you give me a link? Very much appreciated. I did provide a serial number. It is a Late 2015 w/ 512 HD, I may have bumped up the CPU when I originally purchased it for myself, then passed it to the kid when it was one year old.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Thanks! I guess I’ll have to ship it to Apple as our local store is closed due to the Pandemic. For $200 and shipping I’d do it. A non-local place wanted about $400.00 for the battery replacement. I thought that was a bit much, even with the complexity of the work. I see iFixit has a kit for about $135.00 or so. I’m not that handy. So Apple it is.

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
I just verified using my MacBook 12 serial number on the Apple site. Looks like Apple charges $199 for an out of warranty battery replacement. That seem much more reasonable.

Reactions: jazz1

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
I saw that the battery repair for my out of warranty 2015 MacBook Pro 15 was $129 on the website. Called AppleCare and after an hour I was given a repair order for $624! Crazy. If I take it to an Apple store it's $129 + tax. There's a disconnect somewhere. AppleCare doesn't seem to know what they're supposed to charge.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
I saw that the battery repair for my out of warranty 2015 MacBook Pro 15 was $129 on the website. Called AppleCare and after an hour I was given a repair order for $624! Crazy. If I take it to an Apple store it's $129 + tax. There's a disconnect somewhere. AppleCare doesn't seem to know what they're supposed to charge.

Two different situations: If the battery is merely worn, the $129 applies. If the battery has swollen, then Apple will usually replace the logic board, leading to the higher cost.

I believe they will only quote you the battery replacement cost if the system identifies the battery health as being worn. If there are different symptoms, they will quote the higher price.

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
No. I told them the laptop was flawless and I had checked for any signs of swelling. Apple Store looked at it and I paid $129.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
No. I told them the laptop was flawless and I had checked for any signs of swelling. Apple Store looked at it and I paid $129.

Nope. I've had stores charge $800+ for a swollen battery.

Again, if there is a swollen battery or signs of other malfunctions, the lower swap price will not apply. Only if the battery is worn does that price apply.

Apple does not charge for individual repairs either. The damage or malfunction is grouped into a category and a flat rate is charged for that tier. That's why you get that $600 price; the agent on the phone has categorized your failure into that tier.

Last edited:

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Well as far as I can tell the battery is not swollen. I yearn for the days when I could pull a hatch and replace a battery, RAM, and an HD on my own!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Well as far as I can tell the battery is not swollen. I yearn for the days when I could pull a hatch and replace a battery, RAM, and an HD on my own!
To be fair, it could be swollen and can’t be seen without opening the MB up. No way to know without having them take a look. Make sure they get your approval before doing anything that would be beyond the scope of the $199 rate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.