Apple Certified Technician help needed! Folder Icon woes...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MIDI_EVIL, Aug 8, 2013.

1. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Unfortunately, I have a 'folder question mark' icon when starting up my 13.3 MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2009.

This is what I've tried.

Taken the drive out and verified/repaired permissions.
    Attached the drive externally via USB, booted from it and it's working this way.
    PRAM reset
    SMC reset
    Tried multiple 2.5 HDD in the machine, and none boot.
    I've even replaced the HDD, IR and Sleep LED cable, still nothing...!

I'm worried the logic board is the problem, but since the machine boots with HDD externally, I feel that this may not be the case.

My next attempt will be to take out the optical drive and install a drive in place of this instead...

Any help or advice appreciated. The machine is out of warranty so I'll try anything.

2. monokitty macrumors regular

The SATA cable connecting the hard drive to the logic board has likely failed. Cheap, ~$20 (if that) part.

3. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

Just what I was thinking as well

4. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Thanks for your input guys, but I already mentioned that I have replaced this cable. The SATA cable also contains the components to the IR and Sleep light.

To reiterate, I have already changed the cable which attaches the HDD to the logic board.

5. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

perhaps it could be that the sata connector on the logic board has stopped functioning. Logic board repair or replacement might be the way out.

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My first thought would have been the hd cable. I also have a 2009 and have had that cable replaced probably 4 or 5 times now.

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Do you see the boot drive when booting while keeping the Alt/Option key pressed?
    If you do, manually select the drive from presented list, and once OS X is up, fix the Startup Disk designation in System Preferences.

8. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Thanks, but that was one of the first things I tried. No drive was displaying internally. It worked externally.

Replacement cable did not work.

I have it working now using a caddy with an SSD inside, connected to the optical disk SATA port on the logic board.

It could be a massive coincidence that both cables were dud, and it still could be that I need only a new cable, but this is cheaper than both another cable and a new logic board! It works!!!

9. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I see. Looks like your laptop has hardware problem.

10. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Yea, as I said. It must have been the SATA connection from the HDD to the logic board...