Apple changed recommendations regarding charging!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by youngblood8, Oct 21, 2011.

1. youngblood8 macrumors newbie

I don't recall anyone else ever mentioning this in the various 'battery-gate" threads which abound on MR.

Before I received my new iPhone 4s I was still sporting my trusty old iPhone 3G, which I've now owned for exactly 2 years. About a year ago I became concerned that the battery would be toast before I was due for an upgrade. I did some research on replacement batteries as well as proper charging technique to maximize the life of the original. I was pleased to find that the Battery section of Apple.com recommended the exact regimen I had been employing previously:
    ALWAYS be sure to wait until your phone indicates 20% or less 'juice' remaining before you begin another charge cycle.

While the above advice is not verbatim, I am 100% certain that this WAS the official stance of Apple, per it's own website less than a year ago! NOW I see Apple has done a complete 180 degree turn and suggests that the Lithium Polymer batteries in iPhones suffer no ill effects from chronic charging before the 20% remaining level. There is an illustrated explanation of how/ why this is so on the Apple.com so I will spare you my attempt to paraphrase.

Has the composition of iPhone batteries changed in the last year? I find it unlikely. What else would explain this drastic change of advice from the manufacturer?

Note: My 3G battery held up better than I projected and is still quite usable. I received my 4s the day after launch and strictly follow the OLD advice from Apple. No problems with battery life whatsoever.

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It didn't change. Their battery recommendations have been the same for a few years.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

4. fs454 macrumors 65816

Apple has never, ever said anything about waiting until any point in a charge cycle before recharging.

Wayback machine proves it. Why do people make this stuff up? lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries do not have memory. This isn't the Ni-Cad era.