Apple changing back cover screw types

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by josephrojas, Nov 17, 2010.

1. josephrojas macrumors member

josephrojas

took my iphone in for an exchange at the apple store yesterday (11-15)was looking at it when i got home and it seems they have changed the screw type for the back cover from phillips to a very very tiny star or hex style. just a little fyi,i guess they are cracking down on the white iphone conversions.

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

3. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

yea pics would be good!

interested to also know how this would make a difference?

4. grapes911, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You just need to get a new screwdriver. I'm guessing it's Torx like the many other Apple products use.

Also, they might not be changing them for everyone. The tech may have just put in whatever was around. Not a big deal either way.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

unless they have some super patent on the screw head type to prevent finding a screw driver to take the back off?

i doubt it but thats all i could think of that would make any difference

6. josephrojas thread starter macrumors member

josephrojas

pics of the screws these are the best i can do now im at work

pics of the screws these are the best i can do now im at work

Attached Files:

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

meh....no biggie. you can get these bits anywhere so no real issue here

8. josephrojas thread starter macrumors member

josephrojas

they are tiny,im not sure if we can find them or not ,i have a kit i purchased on ebay from japan and the bits are so tiny you can barely tell what the head is,none of those fit,let me know if anyone finds one ive been looking and no luck yet..the picture makes them look bigger than they realy are.

9. josephrojas thread starter macrumors member

josephrojas

another picture from the apple site,but ive had 6 different iphone 4s and ive never seen any with torx,just phillips

Attached Files:

10. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Looks like one of the same style screws they put into the new MacBook Air. Super tiny torx head. The guys who do all the tear downs on new products had to "make" a bit to fit the screw.

11. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Torx is 10 times better than Phillips so this is a good thing IMO. It is a touch harder to find bits, but if they do this more, they will become commonplace at sites that sell backs and other iPhone stuff.

12. deeesea macrumors 6502

China will soon sell those bits too :p. Leave it up to the chinese, they got this.

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

All Japanese iPhones use those five-point screws. My launch-day iPhone 4 had them, as have the two replacement units I have since received. You can get them out with a size 0 Phillips (?) but it does strip them a little so you have to be careful. I did it with my launch-day phone prior to taking it in to the Genius Bar, just to see if it was possible.

Anyway, now that American units are starting to ship with these PITA screws, hopefully we'll see drivers go on sale at some point. I've been searching on and off since last summer but have yet to find anything.

14. Stein357 macrumors 6502

I already have a set that can take that screw out, and my guess is Apple probably is probably getting the screws from a different manufacturer.

15. DeLoMan macrumors regular

The Apple store replaced my clicking glass back yesterday and I too have a torx screw and a phillips now! I thought this was just a mixup when they put my phone back together, but it must be the new protocol!

16. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

I'm glad Apple is switching to Torx as it's much harder (maybe impossible?) to strip the screw head when taking out a screw.

17. dayumitzmark macrumors regular

weird. i just got a replacement today. and it was philips. i kinda want a torx one!:D

18. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

To be honest, Torx head screws look way cooler than Phillips :p

19. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I don't normally think I am too OCD about phones, but I would definitely take it back and make them give me two screws that are the same.

20. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

It's not regular torx. This looks like 5-point torx. I have Never seen that anywhere, unfortunately. Might need some careful perusing of Aickland Grainger or McMaster-Carr to find it. :(

21. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think most of us know how to use Google; I don't see any T0-sized bits there, anyway. T6 is slightly too large ;)