Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The1andOnly

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2020
Ended up sending that email to the Tim Cook address on Friday.

Just got a call from a member of the Executive Relations Team this afternoon. They said that they reviewed the case and Identified several errors that were made.

1. The way the replacement device request was made had been incorrect in their system
2. The numerous attempt to request for a refund had been done with incorrect info each time in their system as well
3. When she reviewed images of the phone at the repair centre, the whole screen was actually cracked.

She was very polite and apologetic for the errors (#1 and #2) that were made and the length of time this has taken to try to get a resolution ( 3 weeks now). She informed me that she had already processed the request for a refund for the $ 1,762.04.

I thanked her and also assured her that the phone I sent in did not have any scratch, let alone a cracked screen (understanding that I had no way to prove this). She was very understanding and said that she would try to process a refund for the $ 830.70 as well due to the overall inconvenience and bad customer experience.

I think in the end, this was the better route to go then waiting for the calls with the Senior Advisor. Ive heard of people emailing the Tim Cook address with no response in the past. I think it seems to depend on the severity of the issue and wether there were in fact errors made. If its a big issue or blatant errors were made it seems that you should expect a response.

I will wait to get the final refund, but if it all goes through I will be glad that Apple has taken the appropriate steps to maintain customer satisfaction and rectify their error.

Thank you guys all for your input and advice on this matter thus far.
Nice. I’m happy for you.

Although just getting the $1.7k+ back might seem great right now, the only acceptable outcome is your getting all of it back. As someone referenced earlier, we have the Magnusson-Moss act in the USA - obviously, Apple is based here - and you are still within the one year warranty period.

Finally, with the more recent revelation of the shattered screen, and the time this whole episode has taken, they should be giving you a nice gift too, like a silicone case.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Well I can confirm they have approved the refund of the 1700. I just got an email from Apple stating this has been processed.

She is going to call me tomorrow again and let me know, but said she most likely thinks she should be able to refund the 800 as well.

It has definitely been an ordeal and a lot of time spent but at the least Im happy to get my money back if I can.

Will let you know if they do anything above and beyond that.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Well I can confirm they have approved the refund of the 1700. I just got an email from Apple stating this has been processed.

She is going to call me tomorrow again and let me know, but said she most likely thinks she should be able to refund the 800 as well.

It has definitely been an ordeal and a lot of time spent but at the least Im happy to get my money back if I can.

Will let you know if they do anything above and beyond that.

Thats awesome! I’ve been holding off trying to do an express replacement of my iPhone after seeing this thread (myself also being in Canada). However I’ve done dozens of express replacements over the years and never had issues with them holding funds, in fact the temporary authorizations had even dropped off as soon as UPS accepted my return package. Good to know they took care of you!

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Thats awesome! I’ve been holding off trying to do an express replacement of my iPhone after seeing this thread (myself also being in Canada). However I’ve done dozens of express replacements over the years and never had issues with them holding funds, in fact the temporary authorizations had even dropped off as soon as UPS accepted my return package. Good to know they took care of you!

Yeah, I have never had an issue over the years as well. This was the first time it was such a horrible experience. That being said, I have not done a replacement in a number of years.

I got the follow up call today. I was informed that they will in fact refund me the total amount. 1700 + 800 ish due to inconvenience. They said the case is being kept open as they were shocked by the number of errors and issues that were identified.

I was not offered anything more ( not that I expected anything). Im happy to have at least gotten a full refund and be done with this ordeal.

Just waiting on seeing the funds transfer back to my card!

Samut

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
Yeah, I have never had an issue over the years as well. This was the first time it was such a horrible experience. That being said, I have not done a replacement in a number of years.

I got the follow up call today. I was informed that they will in fact refund me the total amount. 1700 + 800 ish due to inconvenience. They said the case is being kept open as they were shocked by the number of errors and issues that were identified.

I was not offered anything more ( not that I expected anything). Im happy to have at least gotten a full refund and be done with this ordeal.

Just waiting on seeing the funds transfer back to my card!

That's great news! I was positively surprised that after all the trouble sending an E-mail to right address did have such a positive effect.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
So Apple gives you nothing at all for all your stress, inconvenience, trouble when it admits many errors were made on their side. How very big and generous of them. Most small businesses would offer something decent in compensation to keep a good customer happy.
But not Apple it seems. Not surprising seeing how they squeeze every nickel out of each customer. Very sad and a reflection on Cook and his false "caring".

Reactions: Natzoo

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Most small businesses would offer something decent in compensation to keep a good customer happy.
Some very well do that kind of thing, but not sure "most" would necessarily be the case. Also not sure if that's really done in all or even necessarily most cases even by those business that do that often enough.
But not Apple it seems. Not surprising seeing how they squeeze every nickel out of each customer. Very sad and a reflection on Cook and his false "caring".
Apple does things of this nature too, it just depends on how often it happens and to what degree. That isn't to say that something in addition might or might not be warranted or at least good to have in this particular case, but as an overall generalization it's not always the case that it's one way or another.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
So Apple gives you nothing at all for all your stress, inconvenience, trouble when it admits many errors were made on their side. How very big and generous of them. Most small businesses would offer something decent in compensation to keep a good customer happy.

I had an issue with my AppleCare+ not transferring after a replacement and it took forever and multiple calls. I made sure to make it clear I was unhappy and frustrated and they offered a free item from the Apple Store under $100. I ended up getting an iPhone Leather Case since I wanted one and didn't want to pay $65 for it.

My sister got a free Bose speaker because her iPhone SE 2015 took forever to get a refund once she decided to upgrade from 16GB to 64GB.

It's not always black and white. It depends on your situation and how you express your frustration.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Received the remainder of the outstanding amount $800+ today. So, I have been refunded the complete amount now. Expected to have a follow up call with someone next week.

In the end, Im happy that the situation is finally resolved.

Once again, thanks everyone for your input and help!

The1andOnly

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2020
Received the remainder of the outstanding amount $800+ today. So, I have been refunded the complete amount now. Expected to have a follow up call with someone next week.

In the end, Im happy that the situation is finally resolved.

Once again, thanks everyone for your input and help!
Glad to hear it! Shouldn’t have taken so long or so much trouble, but...whatever.

Reactions: MG999
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.