Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has posted a video on its Chinese retail website showing off an art collaboration between international photographer Navid Baraty and artist Yangyang Pan to design a mural for the company's upcoming Jiefangbei store in Chongqing. The video shows Baraty discussing his work in taking photos of Chongqing, while Pan shares her role in painting the mural that covers the location.

newapplestorechina-800x334.jpg

Last week, Apple posted a video on the website showing calligrapher Wang Dongling creating a mural for Apple's new West Lake store in Hangzhou, China which opened last week. Earlier this month, Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts noted that Apple would be opening five new retail stores in the next five weeks to coincide with the Chinese New Year holiday. The new Jiefangbei store also marks Apple's second in Chongqing, as the first opened last July.

Apple's new Jiefangbei in Chongqing, China opens on January 31 at 10 AM local time.

Article Link: Apple China Posts Video Showing Creation of Mural for New Chongqing Store

Last edited:

iSolidus

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
The Chinese Apple website is a strange combination of English and Chinese languages.

Must save on printing and labeling costs, as well as signage for retail.

Rocketman
No need to sign with your name. It's shown in your post.

iSolidus

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
The Chinese Apple website is a strange combination of English and Chinese languages.

Rocketman

Not strange at all. Most non-English apple websites are like that. Most are product names, and some they kept because they want to keep the Americanness, or if a terms is too difficult to translate.

zaneliu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2013
Berkeley
I absolutely love how Apple seems to be taking the whole "art" direction to a much larger scale. From the initially make your own art theme inside the stores to now this large scale one. I LOVE IT! They should definitely do this more

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK

Rocketman

I think its more that there is no direct translation for iPhone, iPad and Mac in Chinese. We call the Apple '苹果' (direct translation of apple the fruit) but phone is '电话'. i电话 doesn't really work so we just use the English. I guess they haven't translated 'Watch' because that's the name and they aren't going to change it.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I think its more that there is no direct translation for iPhone, iPad and Mac in Chinese. We call the Apple '苹果' (direct translation of apple the fruit) but phone is '电话'. i电话 doesn't really work so we just use the English. I guess they haven't translated 'Watch' because that's the name and they aren't going to change it.

perhaps they will use 蘋果計算機手錶 for Apple watch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.