Apple Cinema 27" - two problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Freis968, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Well, it appears I was one of the lucky ones! Not only do I have yellow tinge on the left side of the monitor BUT the screen is completely black when I boot into Windows! This is just great with the upcoming release of COD Black Ops!

To provide some info in regard to the Windows problem. I am updated to Bootcamp 3.1 and I am using the ATI Radeon 4870HD card. So, I am at a loss on what is causing the black screen. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium also.

If anyone has any advice/help I would be glad to listen.

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Don't feel bad, I think I might have found a dead pixel on mine just now. I am not even sure what to do about it, but since it is in the center of the screen I am hoping they will be a bit sympathetic. If I have to I will just return it and buy another one since I am within the return window.

It's just bad luck. :(

Not much you can do but get it replaced. Not sure what the deal with Windows might be though.

3. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Thanks for the sympathy, atleast I am not alone in my woes...:(

Sorry to hear about your problems, one day we shall be in Apple heaven again.

4. valmar macrumors member

valmar

5. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Probably if you have Vista or 7, 64 bit...I am running Windows Vista 32bit.

6. valmar macrumors member

valmar

7. Troy2000 macrumors regular

Troy2000

How bad is your tinge? If possible, please upload an image of the test pattern. As for the Windows issue, I had the same problem before with my current display. Installing the appropriate update for your architecture (i.e. X86) will solve the problem.

8. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

9. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Here is my pic, left side from top to bottom is where i notice the yellowing:

Attached Files:

• ACD.jpg
      ACD.jpg
      File size:
      647.7 KB
      Views:
  10. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear about your troubles. That is definitely yellow tinge on both the right and left edges.

11. Troy2000 macrumors regular

Troy2000

Definitely yellow, though nowhere near as bad as some of the iMacs I have had.

Hopefully it will not be a common problem, as your report is the first known. :/

12. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I was finally able to get Windows to show up on my ACD. I hooked up my old monitor along with my ACD and found out that the ATI software was completely deleted somehow. I reinstalled the current ATI drivers and it works now however the brightness is maxed out and it is WAY too dark.

In terms of my yellowing issue. I will be checking the local Apple store today and see if they have any Cinemas in stock for an exchange. I wonder how many monitors I will have to go through until the I find the perfect one.

13. Troy2000 macrumors regular

Troy2000

Of about six 27" ACDs which I have seen here, yours is the only one with the yellow tinge. An exchange should solve the problem. :)

14. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

15. wing1 macrumors newbie

i hope you mean *NOT*:eek:

16. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I took my Cinema back to the Apple store today after finding out that they had several 27"'s in stock. One of the lead geniuses looked at my monitor and said he saw nothing wrong with it. There was a dead pixel in the lower right hand corner that I thought was a speck of dirt but that the genius noted and confirmed as such, dead pixel that is. I told him I would like to exchange the Cinema for a new one and he somewhat reluctantly agreed. He did say that it would be best for me to examine and view the new Cinema in the store before I took it home and I agreed. So, he comes out with a new Cinema in the box, fires it up and another dead pixel right off the bat in almost the same doggone identical place as the last one...lower right hand corner. I sort of could notice some yellowing on this one as well and the lead genius said I could get my money back if I wanted or he could go get another one to try out. I just said the HELL with it and that I would just take my money back. He refunded me back all of my money and did not charge me a restocking fee. He was pretty cool about it for the most part.

Now I am on the hunt for a Non-Apple monitor...any suggestions?

17. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Damn dude that sounds like horrible luck. I got mine replaced that had a dead pixel, they were a bit reluctant like you said but I stood my ground and they exchanged it a new one. I didn't open it in the store but came home and it was 100% perfect. Dead pixels are inevitably going to happen in a small percentage of panels because these displays have so many pixels per inch. I bet you'd have found no issues with the next one they brought out.

Either way, good luck with your hunt for a new display, I am sure people can help you out with some suggestions. The most obviously similar one is the Dell 27 inch Ultrasharp.

The biggest problem I have with getting a display from someone else is that if you end up with a dead pixel (it happens) you have to deal with shipping it back to them. What I love about Apple is I have a store 10 minutes away that I can bring it to if I have issues.

18. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Got my 27" a few days ago, and immediately spotted a dead pixel in the lower right corner. Called AppleCare, and they promptly sent a new one. Got that one yesterday, and bingo, 3 dead pixels. I have written Apple an Email, that I'll keep the first one and send the second one back, and await a another new one, hopefully with ZERO dead pixels, and then send back the original one.

No discussions whatsoever. Perhaps because I'm in Denmark, and we have a state-wide guaranteed 14-day return right:)

KB