Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theLemur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
I actually just bought the monoprice a week ago. Got it for $300 on sale from rakuten. The screen is brilliant! The stand sucks, and the buttons are in a crappy location, but the screen is great and that's all I care about for now :)

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
I actually just bought the monoprice a week ago. Got it for $300 on sale from rakuten. The screen is brilliant! The stand sucks, and the buttons are in a crappy location, but the screen is great and that's all I care about for now :)

no panel issues? I considered it but went with the TB just for the apple warranty incase I ran into any problems.

but for 300, that is a great buy.

Cleaner looking the the Dell in my opinion.

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
I went to the website and started reading some reviews. This was listed as a five start review. What caught my eye was where this guy bought his. Same as yours OP. Let us know how it holds up!

Pros: Images are vivid and looks very good. Physically looks nice as well. No dead pixels as I could tell.

Cons: Monitor is bright as described by other people but if you change to a darker background, it should be fine. Buttons are in the back and is not intuitive in the way they program and navigate to change the settings.

Monitor died after one day of use.

I will not review the good points as others have already done so.
My negative for this monitor is that it apparently has poor quality control or maybe sub standard quality PCB components because the monitor died after one day of use. Reading other reviews seems to indicate this is not an isolated problem but a recurring problem for many of these monitors.
Basically, it worked fine for one day. On day 2 the screen went completely blank after 2-5mins of use. The backlight seems to work but everything else stops working including the menu OSD. I tried a series of troubleshooting techniques including power cycling the PC, resetting the DVI cable, power cable, connect with VGA cable, connect with a different PC and it is dead. So I decided to unplug everything and left it off overnight. The next morning, I tried again and crap...it works for 2 minutes and blanks out again. Again backlight is still working but nothing else.
The real horror of this story is that I bought this from Rakuten website, with Monoprice as a marketplace seller. I called Rakuten to request a replacement and they told me that Monoprice is the seller so I have to call them. I call Monoprice and they said I bought it from Rakuten and that they have to handle it and I spent a half an hour on each trying to get this thing replace with no solution. What the heck?!? I just want a working monitor ...is that so effing hard???

theLemur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
no panel issues? I considered it but went with the TB just for the apple warranty incase I ran into any problems.

but for 300, that is a great buy.

Cleaner looking the the Dell in my opinion.

There are no issues that I can see. When I found the sale on slick deals there were people on the thread complaining about the "no more than 6 dead pixels" guarantee, apparently they couldn't even tell if they had dead pixels unless they ran some utility. Seems silly to me... mine looks awesome!

Well one problem, on dark content the light from the panel bleeds through bit, but i read that the apple version does the same thing. It's tolerable. For $300 I'm not complaining!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.