Apple Cinema Display (20 inch) mirroring question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GStreakT, Mar 6, 2009.

1. GStreakT macrumors member

Hi, I bought a used 20 inch Apple Cinema Display for my Santa Rosa MacBook Pro . I've never used one of these before so I'm kind of lost. I did test the ACD on my Windows XP partition (bootcamp) and did a remarkable job of using my ACD as the primary desktop. While this happened, my laptop screen went blank (unless I decided to clone it via the nvidia control panel).

My question is that is there a way to do this on Leopard? The text is horrible blurry if I check "Mirror Displays" under System Preferences > Displays. I think the color is also a little more way off. But as soon as I use the ACD as an extended desktop, the text is crisp and so are the colors , for the most part. Now all I need is the top menu bar and the dock to be on the ACD.

Also, when I did have the ACD mirroring my MacBook Pro, I couldn't shut the laptop 'cause it would go to sleep thereby making the ACD go to sleep. Is there any way to avoid this as well? Stupid question, I know.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

P.S. - I do have another question, and that is when I'm in Windows, none of the USB ports work at the back of the ACD. I just plugged in my mouse USB receiver and it won't move. Not to mention that the 20 inch native resolution (1680 x 1050 ) is missing from the Windows resolution settings. Is there any way I could get these/this to work, especially since I'm considering buying a aluminum keyboard which I was thinking of plugging into the back of the ACD.

2. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

In the Displays section of System Preference, under Arrangement, drag the menu bar (white bar) from one display to the other to select which one is primary.

Don't use mirroring, because then, you're not using the monitor's native resolution, which results in blurry text like you saw.

As for the sleep issue, close the MBP to sleep it, then wake it up with the external keyboard to use it in clamshell mode.

3. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply, Knight. I did figured how to get the top menu/finder bar, but for some reason, the dock is still missing. I don't know why. Is it cause maybe I activitated the corners of my screen? That's the only other modification I've made to my system before I bought the ACD.

4. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

The only configuration where the dock and menu bar aren't on the same monitor is when you put them one over the other in the arrangement. In that configuration, the menu bar is on top, and the dock on the bottom monitor If they are side to side, the dock should follow the menu bar.

5. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I jst kinda assumed it should have worked the other way too.

I do have another question, and that is when I'm in Windows, none of the USB ports work at the back of the ACD. I just plugged in my mouse USB receiver and it won't move. Not to mention that the 20 inch native resoltuion (1680 x 1050 ) is missing from the Windows resolution settings. Is there any way I could get these/this to work?

6. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Did you install all the bootcamp drivers or is your Windows installation using native generic drivers ?

7. Pixellated macrumors 65816

8. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies you guys. I just found out that the USB ports don't work even when I'm on Leopard (As well as Windows XP).

I heard that some ACDs come with a CD. But mine didn't. I even looked up the manual, and it didn't say anything about a software CD, and neither did the box.

My nvidia drivers are also up to date. And I also replugged all cables (the power adapter, the DVI connector, USB and firewire). Some of the USB I've tried plugging in was my Logitech mouse and also my Wacom graphics tablet. I tried both the USB ports on the display but both do not respond. However, when I plug the USBs into my laptop, the devices light up.

Please help :(

P.S.- I just tried this out. I removed all cabling from display and laptop, then shut down the laptop and did a power management reset (taking out the battery and holding down the power button for 5 seconds). Then I reconnected cabling and upon start up on the laptop, I resetted the PRAM. But it still won't work.

9. Katefavorite macrumors newbie

Power button on Cinema Display does not work

I am attatching a 2000 Cinema Dispaly 20" to a new MacBook. I purchased the Mini DVI - DVI converter and did all the things in the above thread.

The only thing that does not work now is I can not Power up the computer via the "button" on the Apple Cinema Display. I know about the "Disable Power button" option through the Dislays/System Preferences and that is not selected. I do see the light go on when I depress the "button" but the computer and Cinema Display do not go on. The only way I can power up the configuration is to open the MacBook and turn that on.

Thanks for any help.