Apple Cinema Display 23" - $795!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jasper2k, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Jasper2k macrumors newbie

Was just shopping on LA Computer Center's site, and noticed that the ACD 23" was listed with a special price, visible in the shopping cart. I checked it out and the ADC 23" is going for $795, from an authorized resellter! That's only $46 more than the Apple Store is selling the refurbs for. :)

2. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

Quick question, why an apple cinema display, and not another LCD monitor? (couldnt really get what was better about them than any other display) i think that you could get much more for your money than you can get from Apple

3. Wilson1984 macrumors newbie

Well, from what I gather..
    The ACD is already calibrated out of the box. So you get "true" color. Kinda like if you bought a high end TV , the place that sold it will offer to calibrate it for you. (for a cost) Same thing with monitors, if you go to your local best buy and look at there monitor wall, they are all different colors when your looking at the display, the colors are not the same. I guess with a ACD if you lined them up like that they would all look the same.

Then you have refresh rates... Yes other monitors have higher refresh rates, but the ACD is all about displaying color correctly. So, if your a graphics pro, ACD is the way to go. If your blowing stuff up in video games, another monitor may serve you better.

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Why not just go for the refurb...? Save $46 and get free shipping.

5. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

well, the question is, is Jasper2k a graphics pro?:confused: And is he a lazy person who can't calibrate himself???

6. boku no koto macrumors newbie

Just out of curiosity what display would you recommend?

7. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

well, i have a Samsung 22 in, and its worked great as a tv (still need to go and buy dvi cable to hook up my mbp).but its been awhile since i've looked into monitors, and tv's. i think samsung has great monitors. also what could be considered is an actual hd tv with pc input(prefferably dvi). but hell, there are soooo many monitors to choose from its all about what you will be using it for, and how much you care about picture, refresh rate, resolution, ect... but you just have to make sure your not buying an apple cinema display, just so you can buy it from apple.

8. Jasper2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Definitely not a graphics pro, but certainly lazy! :rolleyes:

Even though I don't make my living in graphics, I admit to being spoiled enough to see the difference between most 6-bit TN panels and the 8-bit S-IPS panel in the ACD... and if I'm willing to pay the premium to get into an S-IPS or even an S-PVA panel then $795 is better than $895 (or even $829 with my EPP discount).

If you're in the market for an ACD, it's a nice discount. If a cheaper panel meets your needs then go for it! Me, I'm going back to being my lazy, non-graphics professional self... :p

9. boku no koto macrumors newbie

Well, your recommendation is worthless for actual graphic professionals. All 22in displays are TN panels, which are known for terrible color, viewing angles and backlight bleed.

Apple uses IPS panels in their displays, which are cream of the crop in terms of color consistency and reproduction as well as excellent viewing angles. Apple isn't using the latest IPS panels, but they still have some of the best displays out there.

They aren't pulling an Eizo where they use the cheaper PVA panels to cut costs and slap high end electronics in them.

While a part of my decision to buy a 30" ACD was because it is from Apple, the major factor was that I know the quality of them is damn good and I know that specs aren't everything.

10. praetorian909 macrumors regular

11. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Do these 23''-ers still have pink hue problems? I sure hope they don't

12. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

My wife is a professional blue-chip designer where colour correctness is everything (and is incredibly loyal to Mac), but I doubt even she would know what IPS panels means... so how do I have any hope? Could you please explain what IPS is and why it's good?

13. raxafarian macrumors regular

I ended up with an apple 20" after spending hours at various stores looking at all the 22 ad 24's and not being happy with any of them.

Here's a great collection of info on panels:
    http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206

14. Jasper2k thread starter macrumors newbie

15. maccad macrumors newbie

Has anyone had any experience buying from this reseller?