Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I have a very lovely and presently not working Cinema Display 24 inches.

Here is what it is doing.

When connected to my Mac it shows up as a valid screen in the Monitors System preference and if I am not mirroring displays my mouse and windows can be placed in this 'space'.

However there is not any on LED power light nor does the USB/Firewire port function.

What is odd, is this is intermittent. It used to be dark for a bit but mostly on. Now it is dark 99% of the time, and occassionaly comes to life.

When it comes to life, it is bright, and clear. So the lamp is more than likely OK.

The power supply has been tested with another unit and it is not power supply (external) related.

I have thought it could be the inverter board which is a part I can buy cheaply and repair. However I was told my LCD is more symptomatic of the LCD panel being bad.

Apple wants a $450 fee to diagnose that would be applied towards repairs, but at that cost, it is almost worth getting the new LED model. I would prefer to fix it in a more economical manner.

Does anyone know of what could be causing my set of symptoms and/or a reliable LCD repair source preferably in the NY/NJ region?

I would prefer to have some idea of a diagnosis before I go and buy invetertor boards and A/D boards. However I can replace the power supply, inverter and A/D board for under $300 so that is abetter option than Apple's. However if the LCD panel is in fact dead, then it is a lost cause. New panels are very hard to find.

Any help is appreciated.

easthampton

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2010
HD Cinema Display Power Problems

Hi- Sorry to be posting this so late to your problem. It sounds like you might have a problem similar to mine. My 24" HD Cinema Display stopped working. The 75 W brick checked out OK, and the Apple Dealer wanted to send the display back to Apple for diagnosis. I found a thread online that suggested trying the display with a 150 W brick.

It worked!

It seems that for some unknown reason, some 24" HD Cinema Displays stop working with the 75 W adapter and need more power. You can diagnose the display's problem by the pattern of the blinking light on the front of the display:

Here’s what the flashing power light means:

If you see three short flashes, the display is receiving the wrong video format or is set to an unsupported resolution. Make sure your display is compatible with the computer you’ve connected it to, and restart the computer. If the problem continues, try resetting the parameter random-access memory (PRAM) by shutting down the computer, then turning on the computer and pressing and holding the Command-Option-P-R keys. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

If you see a “short, long, short” flash pattern, make sure you’re using the correct power adapter for the display.

If you see a “short, short, long” flash pattern, the display is detecting a backlight error. Check your display’s power connection and restart your computer. If the problem continues, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Hope this helps you!

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Very helful.

Thank you. Now I have to go about finding this 150 watt adaptor.

Hi- Sorry to be posting this so late to your problem. It sounds like you might have a problem similar to mine. My 24" HD Cinema Display stopped working. The 75 W brick checked out OK, and the Apple Dealer wanted to send the display back to Apple for diagnosis. I found a thread online that suggested trying the display with a 150 W brick.

It worked!

It seems that for some unknown reason, some 24" HD Cinema Displays stop working with the 75 W adapter and need more power. You can diagnose the display's problem by the pattern of the blinking light on the front of the display:

Here’s what the flashing power light means:

If you see three short flashes, the display is receiving the wrong video format or is set to an unsupported resolution. Make sure your display is compatible with the computer you’ve connected it to, and restart the computer. If the problem continues, try resetting the parameter random-access memory (PRAM) by shutting down the computer, then turning on the computer and pressing and holding the Command-Option-P-R keys. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

If you see a “short, long, short” flash pattern, make sure you’re using the correct power adapter for the display.

If you see a “short, short, long” flash pattern, the display is detecting a backlight error. Check your display’s power connection and restart your computer. If the problem continues, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Hope this helps you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.