Apple Cinema Display 24" lifetime

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pcw, Aug 10, 2010.

1. pcw macrumors member

Hi all,

I've gotten an opportunity to buy an ACD 24" for a pretty good price. And the display should be in perfect condition as well. Although it lacks any receipt so if it gets broken it won't get repaired for free, therefore I'm contemplating whether or not I should buy it. The price I can get it for is 400$. Which I think is pretty good, but it's not good if it gets broken in 6 months.

Is the expected lifetime of an ACD 24" long enough?

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

$400 is a bargain. Go to apples website and check the serial number for when the warranty expire(s/d).

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

If it's in nice condition, $400 is a screaming deal. I paid $625 (with Applecare until 2012) and thought I got a decent deal.

4. DIS Ottawa macrumors newbie

Most LCD panels are rated as having 60,000 hours before the back light fades to half power. If you use your monitor for 6 hours per day, it should last 28 years.

Of course, the ACD uses LED back lights so that number may change somewhat. In other words, $400 looks like a very good price.

5. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Wow THAT is a great deal. I thought the refurb 24 ACD I just purchased for $600 was fairly decent.

6. 3282868 macrumors 603

I ordered two refurb's for delivery tomorrow. How is the condition of your display?

7. Username02 macrumors regular

Just got a refurb'ed LED ACD delivered today. It is everything I hoped for except that 1 dead pixel....

8. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow so you will know before me - post how they look please. I'm anxious to see its condition and check it all out.

And 1 dead pixel? Acceptable right?

9. Username02 macrumors regular

Not acceptable at all in my opinion.
    I have never had a dead pixel on ANY device.

It's actually more like 3 dead pixels but the 1 in particular is pretty much right in the center viewing area. Very distracting.

There are another 2 dead pixels off to the side that is not as dark, but they are 'clustered' together but even still ... it doesn't bother me like the really dark one in the main viewing area.

10. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Will you return/request an exchange?

11. Username02 macrumors regular

You bet.

That 1 pixel is in such a highly viewable place it is driving me nuts.

It's like a spec of dust is permanently there on every mail, webpage, etc. And it is so dark. I can see it from over 2 feet away.

Had the only dead pixels been the other 2 on the side, I don't think I would have even cared. Wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Only thing I have to loose with the replacement is having to look at the monitor the ACD is replacing for another week and just hope it don't fail.

12. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Ah, that would drive me nuts as well and I'd also return it (especially given its' vomitus inducing location - it's like having a DON'T MIND ME reminder front and center at all times). I had thought from your original post it wasn't highly noticeable.

So you called Apple and they have an exchange in stock for you? I've never purchased a refurb before so I'm uncertain of the process.

My ACD refurb arrives tomorrow; anxious to see what it looks like.

13. Username02 macrumors regular

Don't know what they got in stock but I managed to get the exchange pushed through.... just waiting for label.

Initially they wanted me to drag it in to a genius bar for repair.

Normally I would go this route since I can make sure they fixed it right, but I don't have a car and I am not lugging an ACD in the humid NYC summer to get to an apple store ~ then waiting 10 days or so for them to get around to fixing it and then picking it up and lugging it back again.

They said I am only allowed to replace it once since normally they require more dead pixels and that I might get one that is worse. But that is OK. I would still be in 14 days of purchase so I can just return and buy again if they still in stock.

Please post back when your ACD arrives and give me hope for good display. It really is beautiful.

14. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

You were right, it is beautiful.

My 24 ACD refurb arrived a few hours ago. I was somewhat prepared for their to be a few dead pixels or a scratch or something especially since it is a refurb and and after reading a few posts on here. But, nothing.

It has a pretty high awesometer rating right now. I have combed this thing over for dead pixels or yellowing or dust behind the glass and everything really looks great. It has exceeded my expectations. I can't help but wonder why/how this became a refurb.

My initial thoughts:
    (1) WOW, this monitor is UUUUGE. I can't imagine a 27 or 30".
    (2) WOW, this thing is bright.
    (3) So glad I bought it before it is unavailable, since it is being discontinued.
    (4) I will definitely consider the refurb route again, in the future.

So, there is hope, that your exchange will definitely be better. Please let us know!

Now I'm wondering if I should purchase AppleCare for it? I have it for my MBP...anyone?

15. Username02 macrumors regular

Congratulations! This is great news and gives me hope. :)

Did you test out the camera, speakers, mic, USB hub and all that? Any issues there?

16. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Yes, I went over everything. Everything. So far, so good. I can not find anything wrong with this display. Really impressed.

Sending good vibes your way for a great replacement. Odds are in your favor that you will. I saw there were some 24 ACD refurbs this morning in stock and now of course, the 30. Can't imagine the 30....

17. Username02 macrumors regular

Awesome! Thanks for the good vibes.
    I wish I had the space for the 30 and I would totally snag it.

I am still waiting for my return label to be sent. Almost 48 hours now.
    I already received a note with the confirmation of the RMA, but they have still not forwarded the label.

Anyone know if this is SOP for Apple replacements?

Also, is anyone familiar with the return policies on replacements with Apple?

Is it 14 days from date of original purchase or date of receiving the replacement?

18. Username02 macrumors regular

The good vibes must have worked! Thanks so much.

Replacement display just arrived and NO dead pixels. Just ran the monitor's features thorough the paces and everything seems perfect.

Quick question for those in the know: is it normal that with 'Headphones' plugged into my MBP, I am not able to select the Display Audio option from Sound Preferences?

I can select the Display Audio option when the 'Headphones' are not plugged into the mini-plug input, but the moment I connect a speaker to the Headphone port, I cannot select the Display Audio option... it just reverts back to Headphones.

19. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Awesome news, I was wondering how it turned out. Good thing you decided to exchange it!! It truly is beautiful; the newness hasn't worn off here yet.

20. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Gonna throw in good vibes in here also. Purchased an ACD that was used for only 3 hours through a local seller on Craigslist. The stickers were still on them and everything. $500! Not too shabby. No problems with it at all. Best monitor I've used by far :p