Apple Cinema Display 24 to buy or overpriced..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Smeaton1724, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

The chance to purchase an Apple Cinema Display 24", boxed, no dead pixels etc. £300. Is it worth it, from A. Those that have one and B. From others with different monitors?

At the moment I'm using a 'logik' monitor which is terrible, it's a stopgap until I find a monitor - had AOC, Samsung, Dell...never an Apple (apart from the iMac) due to expense.

I'll be hooking up a 2012 Mac Mini and the type of work I do is any and all of: photo, video, writing and publishing.

2. Tony0693 macrumors newbie

I do not own an Apple cinema display but at that price, I'd go with a brand new Dell Ultrasharp.

3. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Hi Smeaton1724. You may want to consider an older Apple Cinema Display? Like the 23" Aluminum model that if a matte screen is fine with the work you are doing. I am using a very old 2003 23" Apple display ( acrylic casing ) and still going strong up to now. No discoloration or corner dark spots and still produces white backgrounds. I have also used Viewsonic, Samsung LEDs but not too pleased with the colors. Some details tend to be washed out.

4. Arcady macrumors 6502

Arcady

I have an Apple 24" LED Cinema Display, and it is by far the best monitor I have ever owned. Works perfectly with both my MacBook Air and also with an older Mac Pro, using a DVI to mini-displayport adapter. The built-in speakers, webcam and AC adapter for my MacBook are awesome.

I gave up a rather nice Dell 24" ultrasharp when I got a great deal on this. The only thing I miss from the Dell are the USB ports on the side.