Apple Cinema Display 24"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fartheststar, Oct 8, 2009.

1. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Checked the buyer guide, for the newest 24" display.
    This seems like an ok buy. I'm looking at purchasing it refurbished - do you see this monitor dropping in price by Tuesday next week, lol - I am just reading about the potential iMac updates and wondering 'how soon' and will this monitor drop in price at the same time.

...as I gaze into my Crystal Ball I look for your thoughts...

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Nothing would indicated that it would drop with other updates. If there is anything that is unpredictable about Apple it's displays.

3. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

They're not known to update the displays often, and this one is actually at it's first version.

4. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

i am looking to buy one soon, with the updated mini. so with this being said, another week or so is worth to wait, even though display updates are very unlikely to be seen.

5. fartheststar thread starter macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

I did end up getting it - I bought mine refurbished - looks brand new, and acts brand new, and I am not disappointed. :)

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I thought long and hard about getting one refurbished for 599, but I went with the brand new with student discount 799. It burns a little but damn its a nice display.

Just bought mine today!

7. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

so you just gave apple $200 extra. That was kinda dumb. Refurbished products are the best. Still don't understand why some people think new is better. Refurbished saves you $$.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 for refurb. I just bought one and LOVE it. The Dell displays everyone keeps recommending can't hold a candle to the cinema display.

9. btownguy macrumors 6502

In the case of displays, refub isn't necessarily the way to go. I recently bought & returned 2 refurb 24" ACD's. Both had VERY noticeable defects behind the glass of the screen (dust/lint, dead pixels). Apple took them back without any problems at all (even paid for shipping). I bought a new one (student discount) and it was flawless. Many others on the board have had similar results.

10. JCP21 macrumors member

Refurbished products can be a great success or a great bummer, i bought a refurbished ipod, only need it for the gym, apple noted it as good condition, recieved it, lets just say it was not in good condition, so i sent it back save up some money and now have an ipod touch [​IMG]

11. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Let us not forget the lower-priced dells and hps - same panel, hundreds less.

12. Oglesby macrumors newbie

If I could hijack the thread slightly....

What is the expected lifespan of one of these expensive displays?
    Come to that... what is the lifespan of one of the ...ahem.. "lesser" displays?

Obviously cost per use is a nice way to justify a big purchase :)
    (particularly to the wife)

13. katyoshi macrumors 6502

Well supposedly they should last at least three years with no problems if you get the applecare. Other than that, they may last over 5-10 years! I'm sure technology are more reliable than before. My tube tv from 1995 still runs in our garage. My one monitor from 1996 still runs good. so yeah..

14. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I imagine the biggest issue on the longevity of displays is the connectors. Certainly there are some ADC connector displays that still work, but we are 2 generations of connectors away from those.

15. puma1552 macrumors 601

And you just lost about $200 on your resale value by buying refurbished compared to new so it works out about the same, with the person buying new having the benefit and experience of buying something brand new that's never been torn apart at the factory and messed with. What's the difference?

Apple's refurbs are great, but no thanks. Perhaps I am just that vain, but I buy new and only new.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yup, I have a Dell U2410. Same panel as the ACD and it cost me $500, and I have more inputs than I know what to do with. Display port, 2 DVI, HDMI, VGA, component and there may be a composite on there, not sure. Plus a USB hub and card reader built in. And I'm not sure what Apple's policy is regarding dead/stuck pixels, but the first display I got had one single stuck pixel on it and Dell sent out a replacement no questions asked.

17. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

How much would you expect to get reselling a used "new" 24" cinema display?

You are assuming that the depreciation on a new product versus a refurbished product is the same in absolute dollar amount as opposed to proportional. Also the price of refurbs really sink the resale value of new displays.

I would argue that unless you found someone who has no idea about the concept of "refurbished" you won't get more than $599 given the refurb price. So you take a $300 hit neglecting sales tax.

If I was looking at buying a used cinema display and you were selling yours for $599 and someone was selling their refurb for $450, this is a pretty easy choice since if I was buying used, I would not care about the box, etc.

18. puma1552 macrumors 601

Hence why I said "about". ;)

You'd be surprised how many people have no idea about refurbished.

Personally if I was buying used I'd still want the box and everything. *shrug*

Either way, the person who buys new does lose a little more money, but for some people that's worth the experience of buying brand new and knowing your stuff has never been torn apart.

19. fartheststar thread starter macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

This is the first refurb I bought.
    I decided that since Apple offers the same warranty as new, I took my chances. It was $699 (Canada), and I can't afford the monitor for $999.

They paid off, the Monitor is like new. I miss the box, sure, but it's not worth $300 to me. I'm not planning on getting rid of it, so resale value is of no importance to me.

Great monitor.

On another note: Dell's 24 inch UltraSharp 2408WFP sells for $699 on the Canadian Dell site. It's $449 on the US Site. Through many calls to Dell, the US folks won't ship me the monitor to Canada, it seems they wouldn't ship it to a PO box in Michigan, and the Canadian store won't offer me it at the US cost. The guy actually made up reasons it was more expensive without asking me for more details. They made it a no-brainer to choose between it and the ACD, since they were the same price to me.