Apple Cinema Display 27" needs repair.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adrian-r, Feb 12, 2012.

1. adrian-r macrumors newbie

A power outage damaged my ACD a few days ago. The display is dim and flickering now. I brought it into the Apple Store and the Geniuses diagnosed it as having a bad LCD panel, costing more than $800 to replace. I'm not convinced the LCD panel is the problem here. The display works perfectly fine at the lowest brightness setting. I think it could possibly be the inverter board or something else power related. What do you think? What are my options here?

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I'd take it to an independant electronics repair shop for a second opinion.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't know about your model but the older ones the power led would pulse two short and one long flash if it was the inverter.

4. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

This is what I'm afraid of when my warranty expires in 1 month. Something weird happening and messing up the ACD which in turn becomes a 500+ repair job. OP, please keep us updated on what happens. Hopefully apple will give you a cheaper quote.

5. adrian-r thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the current model that Apple sells.

----------

I will keep you posted. I'm going to bring it in to a less busy Apple Store to see what they say. I'll start calling other electronic repair places to see what they think also.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Did you have it hooked up to a surge protector at the time? If not you really should buy one today. Aside from that, bad lcd panel is a ******** diagnosis unless their components are more tightly integrated than I realize. How did they come to this conclusion? Last thing is never trust the "geniuses". They're terribly hit and miss.

7. adrian-r thread starter macrumors newbie

It was plugged into a strip type surge protector. I unplugged everything right after the power went out.

Basically, they came to the conclusion that the LCD panel was the problem because it was still powering on and showing an image. If it was anything power related, it wouldn't turn on at all. It just didn't sound right after thinking about it a while.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

If the OP is correct and the damage occurred due to a power outage, this wouldn't be covered by warranty. For this kind of stuff you need insurance... usually home/renters insurance should cover such damages.

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Did you buy it at the same time a a computer with AppleCare? If so, it should be covered under the AppleCare warranty of your computer. The ACD/ATD is covered either with its own AC... or the AC of an accompanying purchase.

/Jim

10. adrian-r thread starter macrumors newbie

No AppleCare anywhere. :(