Apple Cinema Display 30 anyone??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by UltraNEO*, Aug 10, 2008.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hiya guys,

I have a question regarding my new monitor, there's nothing noticeably wrong with it, it seems to be functioning perfectly!. Though I'm kicking myself as to why I didn't purchase one sooner!

Anyway, I'm loving the clarity, having the space to open various applications and actually do more work than shuffle between the pallets!!

However, I'm not sure is it normal for a peripheral where the PSU is an external brick! But the top of the display, where the aluminium bezel is, is often fairly warm!! Just feeling the unit, the top two thirds is alot warmer... I this normal?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't have a 30" ACD, but I know top of my display is hotter too; heat rises my friend.

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

++

The tops of all the LCDs in the house here are hotter ;)

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You'll find your ACD gives off a ton of heat. I have a 30" and when I moved into my new place I thought I was clever so I had my desk perpendicular to my wall such that the ACD would face me, I'd have a wall to the right of me and I'd be up against another wall creating a pseudo separate space in my living room for my desk. I moved into my place in January where the days were cool and the heat from the ACD was noticeable but pleasurable. I didn't need a heater in that area for sure. In the coming months we had a hot weekend and I found myself baking. The space I created was a bit of a "box" and I felt that the heat escaping was coming at me with no where else to go. I turned the desk outward into the open room making my time on the computer more enjoyable (and cooler).

The casing of the ACD will indeed have a lot to do with the heat but the heat is in no way an issue. I would say if it's smoking you have issues. :)

As for the brick, mine sits on a little cord shelf I have screwed in under the desk from Ikea. For good measure I have it within reach so that I may use it as a weapon against anyone who attempts to touch my computer.

5. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Both the top of mine and the power brick got pretty hot after a few hours usage. Also, the top of my aluminium iMac gets pretty hot now.

AppleMatt

6. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ah!!! I see, thanks for your lovely advice. It's nerve charming, to say the least, to know what I'm experiencing is completely normal!! Like everyone else, we want to make such our investment isn't defective.. to discover i have some oddities with the technology later would be a pain in the rear!! Though, the box stated it's assembled in Korea - which offers a little more peace of mind!! Hopefully!

You guys have AppleCare for your Cinema Display?
    I'm still thinking about it, i feel it's a more worth while investment, as I doubt i'll be tweaking or upgrading the thing... it's not like a system where you change out the CPU's every few months and unlike the system itself, the TFT technology won't be out dated so soon!!

[​IMG]

As for the PSU brick..

Mines sitting on the same shelf right behind the MacPro, perhaps rised a little (because of some wires)
    but definitely inline with the exhaust... not sure will the fans from the MacPro do anything to aid cooling.
    However, I do have air-conditioning in my room. It's on every single day, lowering or rising the room temp to 22/24°C...

7. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Wallpaper, where??

Besides taking/making my own and using them..

Does anyone know of a source where they have wallpaper suitable for out little screens? I hate it when images blur or stretch to fit...

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I do have AC for my ACD. I purchased it about 10 months after buying the ACD. My theory was this, I paid under $100 for AC for a display that ran me about $1800 out the door (student discount). If the panel somehow became defective I believe it'll happen on or after 8/14. That'll be the date that my ACD will be one year old. I hardly believe I've had it that long as the stupid plastic protective crap is still on the sides but such is life of a dork like me.

I also bought AC for my PowerBook. Never used it once and felt that if the PB goes out after the AC is expired then I would feel fortunate as I never owned any windows laptop that was still worthy of doing much more than e-mail and light internet browsing hold up 3+ years after purchase. In other words, I feel it had a good run.

I will most likely hold onto the ACD for the entire 3 years and it'll either be retired or handed down to someone and upgraded for whatever gem Apple has put out in the year 2010. :)

The short answer is yes, buy Apple Care. You have a year to do it and it is well worth the peace of mind. BTW, those bose speakers look like the ones I have. I have the music monitors. I felt they really fit the ACD well and didn't take up much more space since the ACD is a fatass.

Are you in the US?

Edit: to answer your question about wallpaper, none other than interfacelift.com. Wallpaper suitable for the 30" ACD and even HD screens if you happen to need/want.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

Interfacelift has some nice wallpapers in the 2560x1600 resolution.

edit: curses! jessica beat me to it. Stupid slow internet connections.

10. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks for your advice, Jessica.
    Umm.. No, I'm not in the US. I'm actually in Japan.

Those are the MicroMusicMonitors M3, they're a little different from the US version, I believe... mostly because they actually have a little more mid-range, detachable cables and operational-able with batteries.

[​IMG]