Apple Cinema Display 30": buy or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2contagious, Sep 7, 2008.

1. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Hello,

in 2 weeks I'll be moving to London and I was going to get a 30" ACD as soon as I get there. The decision I have to make is whether I should get one as planned or wait until January 2009 for an update.

1) I have a few questions to those who own one of the latest revision (from March 2006 onwards I believe?) 30" ACDs.

- Do you think the screen is suitable for watching DVD or HD quality movies? (is the playback fluent or is it juddering?)
    - Many people think the 30" ACD is not suitable for gaming. Do you think that is true?
    - Did you have any technical problems? (backlight bleeding, dead/stuck pixels, etc.)
    - Any other problems?

2) About the new model/update that is expected to come out in January:
    - Besides LED backlighting, what else could there be different from the ones that are available now?

3) What would you do? buy now or wait?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They haven't been updated in years. Apple doesn't really care about them. They still have the best panel on the market in them, though, so go ahead and get one if you need the USB and FireWire ports. There are many other cheaper alternatives out there, but some of them don't have panels of the same quality.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

They are updated regularly, just silently, to newer panels.

Don't expect any kind of significant price drop if new ones are released soon. The current panels are well priced for what they are. Perhaps a small price drop, HDMI, and a new panel, however that could be months away.

4. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

The ACDs don't have the best panels, and many of the specifications (contrast ratio, response time, HDCP) are horrible compared to newer models from Dell, Gateway ect for the same price.

5. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Since I don't have any products that use HDMI, I don't care about it. No HDCP isn't too much of a problem either. I don't have a blue ray drive and don't think that I will buy one (at least not to watch movies.. maybe to back up data). HDCP isn't used for anything else, is it?

I don't care too much for LED backlighting either.
    My main concerns are
    A) if the 30" ACDs that are out now are suitable for movie playback (or if there are any problems, such as juddering etc.)
    B) if the new 30" ACDs will cost the same or not (if they will cost as much as the 30" Samsung XL30 because of the LED backlight, I wouldn't want to wait for them)

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

A) There should be no issues with video playback.

B) They will surely have to be nearer to the Samsung price. I can't see Apple being the company that drive down LED prices on large displays.

7. futuremac macrumors member

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

9. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Still very happy with my Dell 24" after 4 years.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

+1
    A) There is no problem with video playback. I own one and I watch movies on it constantly.
    B) Umbongo is right. :)

I would wait until after tomorrow just to see, I mean what's one more day? In the end you'll be buying the same display that was available today but at least you waited just to see.

11. chipchen macrumors 6502

Well, it's doubtful that we'll see any computer updates tomorrow in the announcement (maybe outside of the event we'll see updates)...

Things to consider:

- Current ones can be had for pretty cheap... brand new.

- New ones will be more expensive... but have newer features... LED backlighting probably, updated style, brighter, more inputs?, etc...

- Are you moving from the states to London? If so, isn't it cheaper here than there?

- If you're the type the likes the newest of the new... you might as well wait because we're likely at the end of such an old product style... like buying the last model of a car before it gets redesigned....

12. mandoman macrumors 6502

mandoman

I expect updated ACD's to coincide with updated Mac Pro's in January. I would NOT expect LED backlighting on the 30" model, but we should see that in the 20 and 24" inch models. Other expected features are HDCP and Displayport.

I think Apple is going to go to cheaper PVA/MVA panels on these displays. If you don't need HDCP, I think the current displays will be as good or better than what is coming down the pike...

13. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I agree 100%
    Go ahead and get one now, you want be disappointed any time soon.

14. pprior macrumors 65816

I think you're probably right. I've been putting off getting a 30" display for over a year waiting on apple to upgrade their lineup. The horrid most recent glossy iMac screens are my biggest fear - they clearly show that apple is relegating screen quality to the second tier of importance. I can't see 30" LED backlit panels being reasonable cost for at least another year or more, not at anywhere near current pricing.

If there are no displays announced tomorrow, and at this point I don't expect there will be, I'm 90% sure I'm going to get the NEC listed above. It kinda bums me out, because since I bought my first Mac early 2007 I've bought an imac (NON glossy!), 4 ipods, a new apple router and all apple software. I've been converted and everything has worked well. But I just won't buy a display that is so behind the times.

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Right there with yeah.. I have two and Haven't looked back.

16. daverso macrumors regular

About 2 months ago I faced the same problem. After some heavy research, I decided to go with the dell. I was able to get a used 30 inch dell on ebay for $800. It's in perfect condition, and the screen itself is much much better than apple's for half the price. So, if you can go with dell, I'd say do so. Check ebay, give it a shot. Their customer service is probably alot better with something like this than apple would be.

17. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

nope. I'm moving from France to London.
    price in France: 1800 euros (1600 with student discount)
    price in the UK with student discount: 1049 pounds = about 1300 euros

thanks for all your replies. I think I'll go for a (current) 30" ACD then :)

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have you considered the Dell 3008WFP?

It's the same panel except it also has a zillion inputs like component, VGA, DVI-D with HDCP, HDMI, S-Video, Component, Composite and DisplayPort

Just food for thought.

19. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

This is a bit misleading. While new features haven't been added in some time, the display has been revised numerous times as technology advances. The resolution hasn't changed, and will probably be more along the lines of HD when there is a revision, but as Tallest Skii also points out, the current displays are great.

I often watch movies on my 30" and they look fantastic.