Apple Cinema Display 30 inch shows orange screen

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by syrcular, Jan 22, 2017.

1. syrcular macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My girlfriend, just received one of the old aluminum 30 inch Apple Cinema Displays as a gift from a friend. When we connected it to here MacBook Pro, their was an orange tint to the screen. When trying to calibrate it, although it got less orange, it still has an orange tint to the screen.

Is this display broken, or can there be something done to fix the white point on this monitor?

Any help would be great! Thanks!

2. iAustralian macrumors newbie

Hi, from my experience those displays tend to yellow as they age. I had a 2006 30 inch Apple Cinema Display which became very yellow later in life. I sold it about 3 years ago and bought a secondhand 2009 model, which was about the last year they produced them. The display on that one is more modern and hasn't gone as yellow. I use that one happily alongside my new 5K display, and once calibrated property it still performs pretty well.
    Another thing you might try is inspecting or cleaning the DVI display contacts and making sure they're all secured correctly, as this might cause colour channels to shift.

3. Penlocky macrumors member

Where did you purchased the 2009 30" display from? I would like to get one, and I want a newest less used one! =) Thank you!

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I'm guessin' that this is why she got it "for free"... ;)