Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yaccity

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2014
NJ

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I found your answer helpful...lol. Anyway my friend has one of these and they look pretty sweet. Don't know about the ghosting though.

Not trying to be rude or unhelpful, but you asked "is it still worth buying one of these" - The answer is super simple. Absolutely not.

The ACD 30" is such outdated tech at this point, it's just an awful waste of money unless you're simply going for collecting antiques.

I was just trying to give you the simple answer to your question, which is "no".

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Well, the panel of the display still is quite good, and 30" still is a very decent size. However, it consumes quite a bit more power than most modern displays, and I'm pretty sure you could get a sweet 30" 4k screen for not too much more money.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
I came across an Apple 30inch Cinema Display. I have been emailing the seller, and claims that it was bought new in 2010. He said the only issue with it is there is occasional ghosting but it goes away.

Here is the Craigslist link... http://newjersey.craigslist.org/sys/5277737212.htmlhttp://newjersey.craigslist.org/sys/5277737212.html

I can get it for $400. Is it still worth buying one of these? I will be using it with my early 2011 MacBook pro 17"

I have this screen. Key thing here is its reasonably hi res with giod vertical space and great size as it isnt 16:9.

But as withall thing depends on price - probably 200 to 250 bucks is it. 400 is too much for the risk - the power supply goes caput and youre done, as it is proprietary and Apple doent make the parts anymore.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I have this screen. Key thing here is its reasonably hi res with giod vertical space and great size as it isnt 16:9.

But as withall thing depends on price - probably 200 to 250 bucks is it. 400 is too much for the risk - the power supply goes caput and youre done, as it is proprietary and Apple doent make the parts anymore.

Interesting thread, especially related to power consumption and potential lack of spare parts.
I guess the supply and demand aspect too cannot be ignored. I say that as I've just noted one for sale on a local site - asking price 500€ ($US 540)! I'm certainly not in the market for one, but obviously folks who have would generally price them according to their local average market price. But I agree, it's sounds a lot of money for a used display.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Interesting thread, especially related to power consumption and potential lack of spare parts.
I guess the supply and demand aspect too cannot be ignored. I say that as I've just noted one for sale on a local site - asking price 500€ ($US 540)! I'm certainly not in the market for one, but obviously folks who have would generally price them according to their local average market price. But I agree, it's sounds a lot of money for a used display.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Even the power supply isn't really a big deal. If you do the math its basically a couple of light bulb in your house. Even if you used it as a picture frame, it's not life and death cost of energy.

But the parts: 175-200 bucks for that 150 watt power adapter - used.

gdesignz

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010

If you can get one for around $200-$300 then I'd do it, there still decent monitors and why not.I've got three of them and run two of them on my G5 and one on another Mac.

I've been in the MAC game since the 512kb, I use to run a 9" monochrome monitor..lol..Now Apples out of the monitor business all together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.