Apple Cinema Display advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by suburbia, Oct 21, 2008.

1. suburbia macrumors 6502

Hello all,

My G5 20" iMac-- the one with the known power supply and video faulty issue, just 2 months out of Applecare warranty, has just started to exhibit the dreaded random shutdowns. I spoke with someone at the Apple Store who gave me a quote for the replacement of the logic board at $800.00 CAD - $1000.00 CAD.

I need a decent size display for my work, and my Macbook Pro's 17" display-- the one with the dreaded NeVidia faulty chip, just won't do. So I thought about the getting the new 24" LED Display, but as confirmed by Apple, it's not compatible with my older notebook.

I'd like to wait and see if the ACD and iMacs will be refreshed in Jan., but looks like I'm going to have to purchase a display immediately since my iMac has become unreliable.

Should I go ahead and purchase the 23" ACD now, or just wait since the chances of a refresh in the ACD line will be most likely come Jan.?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

2. TSE macrumors 68030

Get a Samsung T260. It is cheaper than an Apple monitor, and is just as good. I have one and I love it.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm not so sure that we can expect a new Cinema Display in January. I would expect that this would happen whenever the next major Mac Pro update happens, which I really don't see happening in January. As to advice, cheap as can go in the temporary unless you have a need for a nicer display. But buying anything but the 24" now seems illogical, obviously though you have needs.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Just go and find a good Dell or Samsung monitor. No need to drop money on an old ACD... even if they do release new ones this winter, the Samsung will probably be cheaper for similar or even better quality...

5. scottintosh macrumors member

Yeah, i agree with the others. You can get a samsung or dell monitor for MUCH less, and they still look great. Sadly, apple displays are far too expensive.

6. the mac geek macrumors member

I agree with others, depending on what you are doing.

If you are doing general things, sure go with a Dell. If you are doing design, photography, etc. An ACD or other IPS monitor will be what you seek.

7. suburbia thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you everyone for their input. Apple displays would be my preference, for professional and personal use. I would just prefer my hardware at home to match the hardware at work-- for convenience.

What's everyone's opinion about buying a used ACD? It's out of warranty... Would that be risky since I can't purchase Applecare?