Apple Cinema Display And External Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hydrocity, May 18, 2010.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Hi there,

I was looking around for a good external monitor I could use with my MacBook Pro (2010) and I came across the 24" Apple Cinema Display. Now my conern is, I have some nice Bose speakers I like to use. They use an audio jack for connection.

Now I would prefer having them connected through the display itself, so I wouldn't have to deal with all the connectors on the side of my MBP. I was wondering if there is a way to connect the display to the speakers. To my understanding there are no audio jacks on the display, correct?

So is there some adapter I could use to convert the audio from the audio jack to a usb connector?

If there is, can someone please direct me to the right location?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I want to know...

2. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

No audio jack on the monitor. There is 3 USB ports on the back so you could use an adapter. Google search

3. applelover2011 macrumors newbie

Connecting external speakers to an Apple Display

You don't need any type of USB converter.

Option 1
    Plug an AUX cable into your headphone jack on your computer and link it to external speakers. Then go System Preferences > Sound > Output > Headphones (either 1 or 2). It'll route the sound directly from your computer to your external speakers, bypassing the connection to the Apple Cinema Display

Option 2
    If you have bluetooth enabled external speakers (e.g. Bose SoundDock 10 with bluetooth accessory) then connect to them using the bluetooth feature on your mac. Once connected go System Preferences > Sound > Output > Bluetooth Speakers. It'll route the sound directly from your computer to your external speakers via bluetooth, bypassing the connection to the Apple Cinema Display

Hope that helps

4. ajsimeon macrumors regular

I have a usb sound card and put that in the back of my 27 ACD. Works great but the only thing is that it makes a loud noise when I first connect the usb cable to my macbook air.

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Thats what I do too. It works just fine.