Apple Cinema Display Mod

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by King Mook Mook, Jun 6, 2008.

1. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

Hi Everyone

I have been thinking how that people have been asking for a iSight in the Apple Cinema Display. Shouldn't in be essentially easy to put in. All you would have to is get a replacement camera from an Macbook, open up the Apple Cinema Display cut a hole the size of the camera, change the USB wiring so that one of the USB's would be internally connected to the camera, mount the camera, put the display cover back on, download the drivers from a Torrent Site of some sort and then voila you would be done. It should work, shouldn't it? Because if this is possible this would clinch it (me getting the 30" Display). Because really, how hard can it be? :D

King Mook Mook

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, that's all. :rolleyes:

If you can do it, more power to you. Post pictures.

But wait to do it until the Keynote. If the boxes at the shipping facilities aren't iPhones, they're HDCP Cinema Displays with iSights.

3. David G. macrumors 6502a

If you've got balls of steel and are prepared to give up your warranty, why not?

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Well, be sure to take pictures of you ruining your nice ACD. I've had the idea before of taking a MacBook's iSight and putting it in a PowerBook (it would have worked had the PowerBook had free USB ports on the logic board), but I think an issue with that is a) the 30" ACD is huge, so your cable might not be long enough, and b) it's hard to take a USB port and convert it to a plug as on would find on a logic board. On the off hand chance you actually try this and it works, good luck and good job.