Apple Cinema Display on PC w/Radeon 5850

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lava Lamp Freak, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I have an Apple 24" LED Cinema Display and thought it would work with the 5850 since it has DisplayPort. I'm using a female Mini DisplayPort to male DisplayPort cable.

http://estore.circuitassembly.com/pr...ter-Cable.html

When hooked to the PC, the Apple display doesn't have a picture. If I hook up a DVI display I get the following error in Windows.

"The system has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution and refresh rate on your DisplayPort display. Your display might not support the requested resolution or there may be an issue with the cable connecting the display to your computer."

The Apple display shows up in the Catalyst Control Center, I am just unable to use it without getting that error. The display itself works fine on my MBP, and I have tested the cable using the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter to hook up a DVI display to the PC's DisplayPort, and that works, so I know the cable is good and the DisplayPort connector on the card works too. XFX technical support doesn't have the Apple display to be able to test it in their lab, and ATI is on holiday break until next Tuesday. So, in the meantime I thought I'd check here and see if anyone else has tried this same setup or one similar.

I've heard from others who have connected the Apple Cinema Display using the same cable to other PC video cards with DisplayPort, and it works, so it seems like a compatibility issue with either the 5850 series or the XFX card in particular. It is a very strange issue because technically there is no reason the Apple Cinema Display shouldn't work on a DisplayPort equipped PC.

2. Lava Lamp Freak thread starter macrumors 65816

It appears that there is an incompatibility between the Apple Cinema Display and the Radeon 5800 series. I have now received reports from others using a Radeon 5850 and 5870 and neither of them are able to get the Apple Cinema Display to work at all on those cards.

I bought a Sapphire Radeon 4890 with DisplayPort and it works fine with the ACD, so unfortunately something appears to have changed in the new 5800 cards that is causing it to not work.

3. bobbba macrumors regular

There must be something wrong either with the 58xx display port config or the LED cinema display port. Maybe the adaptors aren't right?

Either way, I'm ok now as I've resorted to a Radeon 5870 Eyefinity and it's working fine now.

4. leetforum macrumors newbie

Hi Bobbba

So the 5870 works with the Cinema display with a male DP to female Mini-DP adapter?

I have a 5850 which I bought just a week ago and everywhere I search on the internet they say it's not compatible even on the Circuit Assembly website who is selling the adapter....

5. bobbba macrumors regular