Apple Cinema Display or iMac Screen

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sdahe, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello guys,

Which monitor has better resolution... an ACD or the screen of an iMac?

I'm asking this because I'm thinking on selling my 30" ACD and my 17" MBP so I can buy a 24" iMac and a 15" Macbook Pro

Thanks

2. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

The 24" iMac and the LED Cinema Display have the same resolution of 1920x1200. But the LED Cinema Display uses LED backlighting whereas the iMac still uses CCFL, and the panel in the LED display is an IPS panel.

But your 30" ACD has a much higher resolution of 2560x1600.

Are you gonna get an iMac or MBP and the LED Cinema Display? Or are you trying to compare the iMac to your current 30" ACD?

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That really depends on what ACD and what iMac you're referring to.

Either way, the answers are all easily available to you in the product spec pages at Apple.com.

Really that hard to look?

4. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

The 24 inch iMac also uses an IPS panel.

5. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

I thought that too. But I decided to be nice. lol Not that your being an ass, because you are 120% correct the specs aren't hard to compare on apple's site.

I thought it did, but I wasn't completely sure and didn't wanna give false info.

6. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

No it's not hard to write www.apple.com in my browser and read the specs...

I don't want to know the specs of both monitors to know the best one... I want to know the opinions from the users...

Another thing is that I'm asking wich monitor has better resolution... didn't said bigger resolution..

7. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Are you wanting to know which one has the higher pixels per inch (PPI)?

And again are you trying to compare the 24" iMac to your current 30" ACD or to the 24" LED Cinema Display?

8. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I want to compare the 30" ACD to the 24" iMac's monitor... you know, the iMac!!!... the computer that comes with everything in the same monitor

9. psingh01 macrumors 65816

10. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Yes, I know very well what an iMac is I have used a lot of them. I am not an idiot so you don't have to define it for me. Just a lot of people who talk about buying a MBP and a 24" whatever are talking about the LED display so I wasn't sure if thats what you were wanting.

But anyways between the 30" ACD and the 24" iMac the 30 obviously has the higher resolution which will give the feel of a crisper picture. As for "better" resolution which usually means higher or "bigger," but you are looking for something different when referring to "better," I am assuming that you are looking for higher pixel density or PPI. The PPI of the 30" is about 102ppi and of the 24" is about 93ppi.

Maybe this will help too: http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-461477.html

11. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Don't sell. That 30 inch screen is much nicer, and its not tied to a single computer. Seriously. This is why apple need that midrange desktop. I see situation like this too much. They use to sell the g4 towers at like 1200 back in the day. Where is that product line today. Not everyone wants an all in one or needs a 2500 dollar computer.

12. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Thank you very much for the information... and sorry for the misunderstanding...

I think is better to stay with my 30"....

13. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

No problem, glad I could help. And I wasn't trying to be rude in my earlier posts. I was just stressed and busy with midterms and a ton of lab notebooks that I had to write.

I hope you get a lot of use out of your 30", but if you're ever get that Macbook Pro and are in the need of a 24" display, the LED display is very nice. I wasn't sure about spending that much money on a display but I am so glad that I did because I love this thing.

14. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

the 30" is a beauty. I recommend staying with it over getting the iMac ;)

15. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030