Apple Cinema Display question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Duffinator, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Duffinator macrumors 6502

Duffinator

Will a 20" Apple Cinema Display accept the HDMI output from an ATV with a HDMI to DVI cable?

Thanks

2. DAlba macrumors newbie

3. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

Just plug and play?

4. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Be aware that copyrighted HD content purchased in iTunes will likely NOT display on the monitor if you use a HDMI to DVI bridge!

You probably know this, but mention it just in case as you didn't say what content you want to view.

5. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

I hadn't thought of that so thanks for mentioning it. Any way to get around that issue?

6. MGLXP macrumors regular

No..there is no way around the fact that the Apple 20inch Cinema Display is old and doesn't support HDCP via DVI.

7. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

8. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

I'm a bit confused on how I'd connect this monitor with only HDMI out on the ATV. What cable connections are you using? Here's a photo of the one I'm thinking of buying. What's a good price for a used one? $200-$250?

Attached Files:

9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

you'll want to get this:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2080&seq=1&format=2

$2-$4 isnt bad for that and Monoprice FTW.

id say anywhere 150$ - 250$ is fairly reasonable.

10. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The only connector that we can even see well in that picture is DVI. It's DVI to HDMI.

There will be no sound over the cable because DVI doesn't carry audio. It doesn't matter that much because the Cinema Display doesn't have speakers, so I hope you have a solution for that.

12. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

I already have an ATV and I'm looking at a second unit to stream lossless audio through a Cambridge Audio DACMagic in my dedicated stereo system. I've been trying to use just my Touch to control iTunes but everytime I completely power off my PC and ATV I need to reconnect the Touch with the ATV so I'll need a monitor for that. I do have the Stay Connected feature set to ON with the Touch. If I just power off the ATV it's not a problem, it's only an issue when I turn off my PC as well. I may just use an Airport Express.

13. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

Another question: if I connect the USB out from an AE will the album art from streamed audio files from iTunes display on a 20" Cinema Display? I'm pretty sure you need something in between rendering the video but I thought it was worth asking. I'm thinking of using an AE instead of the ATV and will use the optical digital out from the AE to an external DAC into my stereo system.

Thanks