Apple Cinema Display Repair?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jamesj777, Jun 12, 2014.

1. jamesj777 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am in possession of an Apple Cinema Display although the VGA lead coming from the monitor seems to have been tampered with, is this repairable? If so, is this something I can do myself or would I need an expert to have a look at it?

If it is a job for an expert, does anybody know of anywhere in London that I could take it to?

Thanks!

James

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I didn't think they ever used a VGA connector on the Cinema display. I have an old one that I still use every day and it looks great, I believe I got it in 2004. It has a DVI connector. It can only be used with the digital version of DVI (DVD-D). I tried with with a DVI to VGA adapter on my Dell PC once and it was not recognized. It would need to support DVI-A for that.

I think there may be an older version of the Cinema display with the proprietary Apple connector (ADC?), but have never heard of a VGA version.

3. jamesj777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I meant DVI. Basically the connection from the monitor which goes into the mac has been stripped and messed with. Just wanted to see if it was something that was easily fixed.

Thanks,

James

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It really depends on which ACD you have. Assuming a DVI model, not mDP, that means it's at least 8 years old unless it's a 30" model A1083. If it is that model and in otherwise good condition, then sure - it's probably worth sourcing a replacement cable.

Anything else I would not put much money into it. If you just happen across a similar one with a bad LCD that you can scavenge a cable from for near-free, great - otherwise sell it for parts.

Ed: I guess the 20" A1081 and 23" A1082 could be less than 8 years old, if it's one of those and you can find a cable for a reasonable price they're probably worth repairing too.