Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skibsted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi Guys,
I have been looking at the many cool pictures of people's home setup. Especialli the MBP + Cinema Display setup.
A lot of the pictures show a MBP with closed lid while using the computer.

I have read somewhere that you shouldn't do that because of the heat that the MBP can generate and thereby destroy the MBP screen.

Is this true?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I've found that my MacBook Pro runs cooler when outputting video to an external monitor.

When I say that, I mean that Spore, when played on the external monitor, doesn't make my 8600M GT overheat and crash my computer. It also feels noticeably cooler when touching the bezel, so it is running cooler.

Skibsted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I've found that my MacBook Pro runs cooler when outputting video to an external monitor.

When I say that, I mean that Spore, when played on the external monitor, doesn't make my 8600M GT overheat and crash my computer. It also feels noticeably cooler when touching the bezel, so it is running cooler.

Thanks for your response.
So, does that mean that you play with your lid closed?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I personally never have. I usually just multitask on both screens, but there are plenty of people who have run their computers closed like this for years and I've not heard of any problems with screens becoming damaged.

Skibsted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I personally never have. I usually just multitask on both screens, but there are plenty of people who have run their computers closed like this for years and I've not heard of any problems with screens becoming damaged.

Awesome thanks.
I would appreciate if anyone in this forum can confirm this:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.