Apple Cinema Display to a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maflynn, Aug 9, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a gorgeous 24" ACD that I bought earlier this year for my MBP. The MBP was sold, so I now want to use this display with my hackintosh that I built.

I think this adapter will work, but I'm not sure.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/CBLMDPDVI/

I'm not sure because the DVI end of the adapter appears to be female, and I need a male end to plug into my computer.

I'm not sure if I'm over-thinking, confused or just plain dumb. All I want to do is plug the ACD into my desktop.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

by the way, I went to microcenter for this, and they pointed me to a 150 dollar adapter - plug the monitor into one side, of it and the other side goes into the DVI port of the computer. I'm hoping I don't need to spend 150

2. aislepathlight macrumors member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but those connecters are uni directional, meaning that the signal is fed in as mini display port and is then comes out DVI. However, there are rather expensive converters available out there ($200, or so) and there are also graphics cards that have MDP on them (Nvidia GTX 465, ATI 5970).

So no, you can't use that adapter, but yes, there are adapters out there that work. Or you could just decide that instead of spending $200 just on a conveter, it would be more worth while to just upgrade your graphics card

3. PetitBourgeois macrumors member

Also, as an alternative to the more expensive Radeon HD 5970, consider the PowerColor Radeon HD 5770 that comes with 5 Mini DisplayPort inputs, which is $220 - about $400+ less than the HD 5970.

Edit: I hadn't checked, but it does look like the HD 5770 is supported for your hackintosh needs, judging by the compatibility list for 10.6.3.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Sell your hackintosh and get a Mac.

5. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

on a somewhat related note is there a cheap converter for mini-displayport to displayport? my brother wants to try out my monitor with his eyeinfinity setup

6. circularforward macrumors 6502

This?

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why? My hackintosh cost me a fraction of what a macpro would run me, besides, your post is not germaine to the conversation.

Thanks for the other posters who actually provided useful information.

Thanks, but I got my system up and running with the GTX260, which is a great performer. I hate to throw that money away. Its not like the ACD is not being used, its connected to my mini, I was just hoping to use it with my main computer :/

8. aislepathlight macrumors member

Sure, that makes a lot of sense. I'm in the same boat, because I'm planning on building inside my newly aquired Power Mac G5, but I'm really apprehensive because if I get matching used ACDs (either a pair of 23" or a 30"), I really need it to work with my new computer...

Sorry for the thread jack, but after a bit of research and a couple days on Macrumors, no one had a helpful response...