Apple Cinema Display Updates

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gazfocus, Jan 25, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Just wondering if anyone had any idea when the Apple Cinema Displays were due to be updated?

I am buying a mac pro fairly soon and would like ACD's to match aesthetically. I was originally going to buy 2 x 23" displays when they get updated, but I would like one as soon as possible really.

The thing is, I want to buy one soon, and then possibly one in June/July, however, I don't want to buy one now and then have them updated in June/July. Is this likely?

For now, I was wondering if you guys thought the 20" ACD would be a good buy (on ebay at £225), then I could sell this when I'm ready to buy a matching pair of 23" ACD's.

Please post your thoughts.

2. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

Updates/changes can happen at any time. But current models are likely to be available for a while after the new models are announced.

From what I've learned recently, you are not likely to find the next generation of Apple Cinema displays to be of any better image quality nor at a lower price than today's are.

What you can probably expect, though, is that they may have more positioning flexibility on your desk and more input options... and, possibly, be using S-PVA technology panels, rather than IPS panels.... it seems like that's where the bulk of the better monitors are going.

If you want Apple Cinema Display 23" with IPS, I'd buy them now. Most 24" and bigger IPS panels are well into the 1k-2K range on US dollars. And there don't seem to be very many monitors using IPS anymore these days (unfortunately). But there are alternatives in S-PVA designs which do look quite appealing, some for a less money, that perform very well indeed. But not all S-PVA display monitors are below 1k, several 24" Eizo monitors use Samsung S-PVA panels and are priced around $1500 or so... mostly because of hardware & software enhancements that Eizo wraps around the S-PVA panel that they bought from Samsung.

What is your intended use for the monitors?

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I will be doing mainly Web Developement (during which, I edit my own images in Photoshop) but nothing hardcore. I do a bit of Video Editing and Music Production too.

What is the difference between IPS and S-PVA panels?

Would I be ok with 2 x 20" displays do you think or should I go with the 2 x 23"? (I currently have a 22" HP monitor and don't reallllllllly want to go to a smaller screen size).

4. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

Sounds like PVA panels would probably serve you well and save you some money. I would definitely avoid TN panels for sure. As for what sizes you need, I can't answer that at all. But I'd say two 24"s would be a good happy medium. 24" seems to be becoming a common choice because bigger monitors can take up too much room and smaller ones can be a little constricting. And pricing for 24"ers is pretty good.

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

5. AaRdVarK macrumors newbie

PMA is this week, which would be an ideal venue for Apple to unveil updated Cinema Displays and Aperture 2.0. I'd wait until Tuesday before making any purchases.

6. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks for that link. Very useful :)

Why would Apple release them because of PMA? I had a look on that link but couldn't find any mention of Apple.