Apple Cinema Display Updates

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gazfocus, Jan 25, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Just wondering if anyone had any idea when the Apple Cinema Displays were due to be updated?

I am buying a mac pro fairly soon and would like ACD's to match aesthetically. I was originally going to buy 2 x 23" displays when they get updated, but I would like one as soon as possible really.

The thing is, I want to buy one soon, and then possibly one in June/July, however, I don't want to buy one now and then have them updated in June/July. Is this likely?

For now, I was wondering if you guys thought the 20" ACD would be a good buy (on ebay at £225), then I could sell this when I'm ready to buy a matching pair of 23" ACD's.

Please post your thoughts.

2. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

At this event. ;)
    I needed one too and couldn't wait. I picked up a 23" ACD two days ago.

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks 4God. What's the quality of the picture like? I've not really paid much attention to them in Apple Stores before because I never envisaged getting a Mac Pro, but now I am, I guess the ACD goes along with it :) Plus I've built up a good PayPal balance selling some old stuff so hoping to get my ACD's from ebay.

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Quality of picture is the best you can get because of it's high quality S-IPS panel by LG. Philips

5. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Maybe I should go to an Apple Store and have a look. My only concern is I'm used to using a Glossy Display (I have a HP 22" which is glossy) and I quite like the glossy displays but that's the price you pay I guess.

6. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

If you are dealing with colour accuracy, you're better off with a non-glossy display. If you are a photographer perhaps, graphic designer, or film maker. Otherwise it's really up to you, and what you prefer.

Personally, glossy displays frustrate me.

7. conancn macrumors member

How could you so sure about this? That's way too long waiting!

8. schreck macrumors regular

They match wonderfully right now. The picture quality is stunning, I've never seen anything in my life quite like it. I was actually in the same predicament that you're finding yourself in, and I went for a new 20 inch ACD with my quad Mac Pro. Believe me, it's brilliant.

Picture of my setup: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2215437921&size=l

They're fantastic screens as is right now. The only thing that I'd perhaps wait for would be HDMI in/iSight. I honestly don't care too much about either though, so that didn't influence my decision. And as one said above me, they've got the S-IPS panel, which is marvelous. So yes, get that 20 ACD and love it!

9. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks for the picture. Do you find the 20" big enough? I'm a bit worried about buying a 20" (or 2) because I'm currently using a HP 22" and have got use to the space.

Thanks. Yeah, although iSight would be nice, I'm planning on buying 2 displays, meaning i'd have 2 iSights which perhaps wouldn't be so good :p

My only concern now is the price and whether to go for 2 x 20" or 2 x 23". What do you guys think?

p.s. thanks for all the great advice so far :)

10. itou macrumors regular

that's exactly the reason why the next ACD won't come with built-in isights.
    if you're concerned with price, why are you considering anything else than what you can afford? all these posts about people wanting things that they can't afford. i don't get it. if you can, just do it already.

11. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

How do you know what I can afford??? Being able to afford something and being able to justify the price premiums are 2 completely different things!

If new ACD's came out and they were the same price, yeah I'd pay the price, but I don't agree with paying £599 for something that's not changed for years!

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I dunno what Apple is doing. The ACDs are least refreshed items in Apple's entire product line. Its like if you buy one you can be rest assured it wont be touched for the next 3yrs or something but rather only get price cuts.

Everytime you think they'll update it, they end up snubbing it yet again.

13. schreck macrumors regular

Well, I'm coming from a MacBook, so I find the 20 to be quite large. But if you're used to a 22, I'd say that you should probably go with the 23 so that you don't feel like you're going down in size. The 20 honestly suits me perfectly, but I won't lie, I might have to add another one down the road. :)

I'd recommend getting one 23 right now. Wait to see if you still desire another, and get that later.

14. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'd be happy with a price cut lol!

15. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I have a 20" ACD right now, and it it the best looking monitor I've ever used, both in picture quality and aesthetics. I would really like to upgrade to the 23" for the greater resolution, but I'm holding off for now because I'm hoping for HDCP compatibility in the next revision. HDMI input would be nice, but there are a plethora of cheap HDMI -> DVI adapters on the market. An HDCP compliant DVI input would open up so many more uses, including Blu-ray movie playback if Apple ever decides to include the drives and software. I wouldn't really want an iSight built in to the display, but a reintroduction of an external iSight would be welcome.

16. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

I'm also waiting for a refresh - and a price cut. Good lord they're expensive. :eek:

However, that 23" is looking sexier everyday, and my MBP's DVI port is screaming to be used.

17. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

The resolution on the 23" does make the display a HD display, but yeah it's a shame they haven't got a HDMI port. However, I don't think I would use it for that because when I move into my new house, I'll be buying a 32" TV (my current TV belongs to the landlord).

18. conancn macrumors member

either wait for new ACD or go with 3-rd party, they're great too, but 20' is way out of date now.

19. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

IF a respectable 3rd Party made a display to match the Mac Pro aesthetically, I would buy one without a doubt, but I've not seen one :(

20. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

What about this?

Just found this Dell SP2208WFP

What do you guys think?

21. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

22. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus